Would you buy this Waverunner?

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2000 Seadoo gtx with Karavan trailer. It's in mint condition and was tuned up last summer and a new battery. Trailer is in great shape also. Wanted 3k a few months ago. Came down to 1500 now. Thoughts?

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Would you buy this Waverunner?

It might be okay, but any future PWC I would buy would have to be a 4 stroke.

The 2 strokes just don't have the lifespan.

I'm running a 2 year old Waverunner VX Cruiser, but still have a 1990 SeaDoo that runs fine. I've also junked one SeaDoo RX due to the engine wearing out and having electric trim problems.

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree on the 4stroke but was figuring if I can get a few seasons out of it it's worth it

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer

1500 sounds like a deal to me, in my area in the spring or summer that would sell for 2000-2500.

The VTS (trim) on those seadoos are notorious for going out. Water leaks into the housing.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Sounds like a good deal to me too.....I paid $2800 for 99 GTX a few years ago....Mine does not have the VTS (Trim) button.. i think that was an option. Not positive....

Yea the 4 stroke would be the way to go.....but they have been making the 2 stroke for many years and the motors just dont wear out...they need to be maintained to get full potential.

I would inquire about why he is droping the price so much! Cut in half ??????

Andre900

Cadet

The price is OK (at least to what I see all day long on Craigs List in FL). If he's got it listed now at $1500, you can probably get it for $1000. Will you get a sea trial? Remember, you can pour several hundred dollars into these older jet skis very fast. June 2011, I bought a '96 Yamaha Waveraider 700cc for $850. At test run it ran very well and I could not determine any problems, and bought it. Well, it quickly showed problems and seemed to bog down, and the trailer was starting to fall apart. After three different shops and another $800 in the first month I finally got it running right. No problems at all ever since and I use it year round! Clocked at 44MPH by my Dad's SeaDoo.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

We've had several PWC's. I would NEVER buy another Yamaha product, of any kind.

The Sea Doo's were much better. Handled better, faster and much more reliable. The Sea Doo's would always run.

Since then, we have gone Four Stroke and never looked back. All Sea Doo with Rotax engines.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer

Yamaha 2-stoke PWCs had two major design flaws over the years. One: on some of their triple cylinder engines the rear oil line was too short and would come loose, thus blowing up the engine - this can be prevented by replacing the oil line. Two: the power valve engines could drop the valve into the cylinder thus blowing up the engine - this can be preventing by using the after market Wave eater clips.

Their two cylinder non power valve engines are said by some to be the most reliable PWC 2-stoke engine ever made.

4-strokes motors are whole 'nother deal and on a different playing field as far reliability, the problem there is that the big 800 lbs couches aren't nearly as fun as the little 2-stokes, IMO of course.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member

I've had 2 and 4 stroke watercraft and I don't see myself ever buying a 2 stroke again. Many of them are doing OK but just not worth the extra maintenance required

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yamaha 2-stoke PWCs had two major design flaws over the years. One: on some of their triple cylinder engines the rear oil line was too short and would come loose, thus blowing up the engine - this can be prevented by replacing the oil line. Two: the power valve engines could drop the valve into the cylinder thus blowing up the engine - this can be preventing by using the after market Wave eater clips.

Their two cylinder non power valve engines are said by some to be the most reliable PWC 2-stoke engine ever made.

4-strokes motors are whole 'nother deal and on a different playing field as far reliability, the problem there is that the big 800 lbs couches aren't nearly as fun as the little 2-stokes, IMO of course.

I can attest to all of that. We only had the 3 pot versions.

The Yammies were also prone to "porpoising". No matter how we adjusted the strakes, they still bucked.

Hated them.

sixfigures

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In the off season $1500 is about all that is worth. The question is what gtx is it does it have carbs or is it injected, all the 2000 gtx skies had a 951 engine with different fuel systems accept the rotary fuel injected model that had the 787 ,, Your question was would we buy that ski,, HONESTLY I would never buy it as the 951 loves to hatch the angle of the air intake makes ingesting water a big problem if it is a di or any sort of injected 2 stroke the answer is hell no. those are even worse.
As for if you buy it you should first do a compression check then take the cover off the P T O at the end of the engine at the drive shaft. With the plugs out rotate the engine clockwise by hand using the pto.
look in the cylinders through the plug holes as the piston gets to top dead center look at what color it is, if it shows silver forget it, it should show a brown color if it is healthy. next start bringing the piston down past top dead center continuing with the clock wise rotation.. once you see the piston start downward,, stop and use a screwdriver to push down on the top of the piston if you feel a clunk it means either the rod bearing or the wristpin bearing has play in it and again forget it. depending on your mechanical experience owning a sea doo with a 951 may just be more trouble than you are looking to get involved with.