Winterizing Yamaha Waveraider 700 cc

Dwight H

Recruit
Im a experienced boat owner, but a first time PWC newbie. I wanted to check on the proper proceedure for winterizing the 2 stroke waveraider. I Added Stabil to fuel, rev the engine (for a few seconds)with it tilted up and blew water out the back. I took the larger hose off that runs.from the top of the exhaust elbow, to the jet pump. Attached a hose and funnel to the fitting on the exhaust elbow and poured pure antifreeze in until it ran out the back. Did this displace the water in the engine? I then fired it up for a couple of seconds and blew antifreeze out the back. Fogged the engine, and sprayed some down the cylinders, then cranked it to blow out excess. Put spark plugs back in. and removed the battery. Is there anything I missed? Im not familiar with the path the water takes on the 700 2 stroke cooling system, and want to make sure i got it right so I dont freeze it up this winter. Thanks in advance for your advise.
Dwight

jetboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Winterizing Yamaha Waveraider 700 cc

Stabil in thr fuel tamk?

And the antifreeze step in not necessary in a Waverunner---yamaha makes no recommnedation to use it when you winterize as nearly all the water is blown out by revving the engine a few times when it's out of the water and the little bit that remains is not "trapped" anywhere where expansion from freezing will do any harm. I'm in Ohio as well and my and all my neighbors PWCs sit either outside or in unheated garages and none of us have ever used antifreeze--- we just follow Yamaha's recommendation which is basicly all the other stuff you've done.

Here's a good PWC dedicated website where you can get more info---

Greenhulk Personal Watercraft Performance Forums

The antifreeze you put in wont hurt anything but not necessary

Dwight H

Recruit

Stabil in thr fuel tamk?

And the antifreeze step in not necessary in a Waverunner---yamaha makes no recommnedation to use it when you winterize as nearly all the water is blown out by revving the engine a few times when it's out of the water and the little bit that remains is not "trapped" anywhere where expansion from freezing will do any harm. I'm in Ohio as well and my and all my neighbors PWCs sit either outside or in unheated garages and none of us have ever used antifreeze--- we just follow Yamaha's recommendation which is basicly all the other stuff you've done.

Here's a good PWC dedicated website where you can get more info---

Greenhulk Personal Watercraft Performance Forums

The antifreeze you put in wont hurt anything but not necessary

Thanks for the info. Yes, Stabil in the tank and run through the carbs. I just couldnt understand how the water could drain from the water jackets in the engine by looking at the hose layout. (I've always been an inboard boater) a great moderator on this forum always says "Air dont freeze" :^) My concern was possible water trapped in a nook somewhere, hence my used of antifreeze. Im sure I'll have more ? re: my waveraider. Learning these 2 stroke skis will be a new challenge for my old brain ;^)

Dwight

jetboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You did no harm by using it--and keep asking the questions! We all had them when we started!

PWCs are designed to be able to blow most of the water out by revving them a few times after you put them on the trailer--we usually start and rev them as we head up the ramp so their at an angle (that's my wife's job as i pull the trailer out). Just start the ski and quickly rev it up about halfway a couple of times than shut it off---just takes a couple of seconds.

This is an excellent forum but there are several others dedicated just to PWCs that may be useful to you---in addition to Greenhulk, try

PWC Forum: The best hang-out for Personal WaterCraft enthusiasts

and

PWCToday

Where do you ride? We've tried Erie out of Huron as well as the Hiron River and the Ohio out of Marietta and out of Cincy. All fun places to ride.

jetboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Take a look at the yamaha 2 stroke sections of those forums to get recomendations on maintanance tips and recommended upgrades. One upgrade for them are "waveeater" clips that keep the valves from dropping--- you can google "waveeater" and find some good writeups and see whether your skis are candidates for them--i think they prevent a big potential problem