What oil do you use in your 2 stroke?

brick75

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry if this question has been beaten to death, but I'm new to the world of PWC ownership and was just wondering what oil everyone uses in their 2-stroke ski's? Just bought a 2004 Yamaha XLT 800, and I'm not really wanting to spend $35 a gallon on Yamalube if I don't need to.

Any reason why Pennzoil Marine XLF TC-W3 2-Cycle Engine Oil wouldn't work just as well (at about half the cost)?

Thanks

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What oil do you use in your 2 stroke?

As long as the engine does not have power valves you can burn the cheap stuff.

timmyboy76

Petty Officer 3rd Class

even with power valves, you can burn the cheap stuff. All "synthetic" oil does, is lengthen the intervals of "cleaning" the powervalves.

jafo9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you also worry about clogging the cat on those models.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

If you pre-blend it won't matter. But if you are using the oil injection system are you sure the PZ will meter correctly? My friend had the same ski and he had a lot of problems with his oil system.

timmyboy76

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you pre-blend it won't matter. But if you are using the oil injection system are you sure the PZ will meter correctly? My friend had the same ski and he had a lot of problems with his oil system.

its a variable rate injection. With motor idling, its puting oil into the intake. More throttle, morethe O/I is squirting...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

its a variable rate injection. With motor idling, its puting oil into the intake. More throttle, morethe O/I is squirting...

Yeah right.....LOL.

The oil pump works on an Engineering algorithm. So far so good on a new ski. When the pump malfunctions, or the lines get clogged, or the properties of the oil change, you got too much oil sometimes and not w\enough other times.

In theory, you are correct. In actual practice, they DO malfunction.

sixfigures

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The engine is supposed to have oil that meets a certain rating as long as the ratings match the name and the price don't matter for instance if you engine requires a tc-w3 rating that is what you look for Yamaha doesn't make their own oil they have someone else make it and put their name on it.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

The engine is supposed to have oil that meets a certain rating as long as the ratings match the name and the price don't matter for instance if you engine requires a tc-w3 rating that is what you look for Yamaha doesn't make their own oil they have someone else make it and put their name on it.

You are correct for pre-blending, but when you use the often troublesome injected motors all bets are off. I have yet to have a motorcycle or a 'ski that worked long term.

Yup, Yami doesn't make the oil. but what has their name on it generally works in their products. TCW-3 is a minimum standard. Bubbaoil meets the standard but other exceed it.

sixfigures

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The tcw3 was for example only, as for malfunctioning oil injectors that is a whole different story.
Yamaha has a history of oil lines falling off even way back on their first injected outboards, Just relating my experience with what oil is used.
I personally have not had a 2 stroke ski for many years.
I only buy new Yamaha skies and currently own 2 , one supercharged and one without a supercharger.
I put so many hours on skies that my newest one was purchased in July and it already has 160 hours logged.
I have owned all makes and models and find Yamaha is way better for reliability as kawasaki in my experience was totally the worst I had ever owned. I had 2 sea doo 4 tecks I put 500 hours on each but the pumps were always an issue.
I actually carried a spare with me to change out if the bearings or liner went out as they often did. I still have a spare pump for those early gtx 4 tec skies come to think about it.
The other issues were motor mounts and exhaust bellows with a bunch of electrical issues added to the mix.
After several gauge replacements I discovered the cause and made a simple mod to eliminate those going bad.
So back to the 2 stroke oil If you own a Yamaha you should take care of the oil lines if you use the oil injection, but the oil rating is all that you really should really be concerned with. When it comes to what brand to use. All opinions based on my first hand experience and other people may have different opinions but what do you expect for free ?

Last edited:

jafo9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

04 has power valves. ditch the cat con, install a d-plate. then put in some wave eater clips, check the oil lines and run whatever oil you want.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I have a 1990 Sea Doo that's been running on WallyWorld's own outboard motor oil for all these years. My Yamaha 115 hp also runs great on the same oil. It meets all specs.

timmyboy76

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yes, you want to check the injection lines from pump to manifold. Overtime, they do crack/break. If seadoo were talking about, you'll want to run API-TC oil, not tcw3/nmma oils.

Future readers of this post with seadoos....if you want to ditch the oil injection pump, you STILL need to keep oil in the resivoir, feeding oil to the RV assy..(rotory valve). The line from tank to manifold(the one without the filter) needs to be left alone, filled with oil along with its return line..(under the exhaust, heading back to top of resivoir).

Pale Rider

Seaman Apprentice

as stated earlier, you can run cheaper oil, but maintenance will need to be more diligent in the PV engines.
Make sure the oil is API TC rated!!! do not run TCW3... the 2 stroke yami`s ski and seadoo ski engines are not outboards...

fact: Castrol made BRP XPS II oil for years and now there is a new vendor.
fact: Citgo makes the 2W yamalube. despite complaints of a dirty oil, the yamalube is good stuff and can be purchased much cheaper if you shop online. The 2W id also a synth blend specifically for the cats...

true,a D plate (yamaha) is a good thing. to many have lost a cat and did not know it until further diagnosis requiring disassembly of the Cat chamber/housing.

Mystik Lubricants are also made by citgo, and a very good oil.

you can buy 2W, 2S here> Yamalube : Oil, Outboard Motor Oil, Yamalube, Evinrude Oil, Mercury Oil, 2 Cycle Oil, Bulk Oil. Discount Online Marine Oil

and the Mystic here > https://www.mystiklubes.com/ProductList.do

personally I`ve been running Amsoil for years in the GP and now the seapoo boat.

remember one thing, skimp on oil, use the wrong type and you`ll pay a lot more in the end...

pretty much you`ll be good with off the shelf wally world brands as long as you watch and maintain your ski/boat...

the newer 1300`s have new SS clips that secure the oil lines and they very rarely come off... I`ve also never came across a failed Mikuni oil pump... broken clock spring yes, but failed pump NO...

AMSOIL INTERCEPTOR 2-Stroke Oil
:cool:

and for your own conclusions you can read all about oils here> http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php