1993 waverunner 3 HELP

andrewcoon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It will start when I spray gas in the plugs but then immediately stops. It is getting spark and gas. Great compression. Rebuilt carb. Any ideas??

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1993 waverunner 3 HELP

I would guess it is a problem with fuel delivery to the carbs. First, have you located and replaced any fuel filters ? Is the fuel fresh and not last year's weathered fuel ? Next I would try to determine with certainty that the engine can run for a short period (more than a couple of seconds) by manually injecting fuel into the carburetor throats.

Up until now, I assume you are removing the spark plugs, squirting a bit of fuel into the plug holes, and then reinstalling the plugs to get it to fire? That procedure would only give an indication that the ignition is probably OK. We need to determine why the fuel is not getting into the air intake. To do this we should try to inject fuel into the intake manifold (airbox) while the engine is cranking. If this successfully starts the engine, try to determine why no fuel is getting through the carbs?

If the carbs have been rebuilt and are not stuck shut with old fuel or varnish, I would check the engine fuel pump (i.e. diaphragms), tank cleanliness, i.e.water or dirt in the fuel, and the fuel tank venting system.

Happy hunting :0) !!
erie_guy

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1993 waverunner 3 HELP

You are welcome. Don't forget to let us know what you learn during your investigations. Your experiences can possibly help others who have similar problems.

erie_guy

HartfordBoy

Recruit
Good morning, guys. I just bought the above from a guy a couple of weeks ago; and it didn't take me long to wonder why it took me so long to buy one of these things. But I'm having some trouble with it and am looking for a litlte advice. The guy I bought it from included a can of starting fluid with the unit; and said he used that fluid on occasion to get it going. Well.......it's being used more frequently than I thought it would be.......let's put it that way. The first thing is.........the choke knob is missing; and while I am going to have that replaced (with the screw), I'm not what role that is playing a role in my problems; but I know the thing hasn't started any differently when I had the choke rod pulled out, then in. When I hit the starter button, it seems like I have to feather the throttle handle a little bit to get the thing going. But that's only after throwing starting fluid in the carb and then giving it gas while starting.......sometimes continually spraying the fluid in the carb until the thing grabs and is off to the races. What has worked best to do this, is to take the black carb box and filter screen off........just to make for ease in throwing the starting fluid in. It won't idle very often with no throttle. So, we have to hold the ski in place up against the dock to keep it from taking off on us. Once it gets to that point, then it sees like it will idle. But we have to get to that point. Once this gets going, it runs like no tomorrow.......until you let off the gas to come into the dock. Then it stalls. I have no idea if the carb has ever been cleaned; and have no idea if the fuel lines are original or not. I just replaced the fuel filter - even though it didn't look to have much sediment in it. Any thoughts here?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Good morning, guys. I just bought the above from a guy a couple of weeks ago; and it didn't take me long to wonder why it took me so long to buy one of these things. But I'm having some trouble with it and am looking for a litlte advice. The guy I bought it from included a can of starting fluid with the unit; and said he used that fluid on occasion to get it going. Well.......it's being used more frequently than I thought it would be.......let's put it that way. The first thing is.........the choke knob is missing; and while I am going to have that replaced (with the screw), I'm not what role that is playing a role in my problems; but I know the thing hasn't started any differently when I had the choke rod pulled out, then in. When I hit the starter button, it seems like I have to feather the throttle handle a little bit to get the thing going. But that's only after throwing starting fluid in the carb and then giving it gas while starting.......sometimes continually spraying the fluid in the carb until the thing grabs and is off to the races. What has worked best to do this, is to take the black carb box and filter screen off........just to make for ease in throwing the starting fluid in. It won't idle very often with no throttle. So, we have to hold the ski in place up against the dock to keep it from taking off on us. Once it gets to that point, then it sees like it will idle. But we have to get to that point. Once this gets going, it runs like no tomorrow.......until you let off the gas to come into the dock. Then it stalls. I have no idea if the carb has ever been cleaned; and have no idea if the fuel lines are original or not. I just replaced the fuel filter - even though it didn't look to have much sediment in it. Any thoughts here?

Read the rules and start your own thread. If you can't find the rules, click on the Forum Help in the sig below.