Mercury sport jet 120 and water question

Intotheblue

Recruit
I have a Mercury 120 sport jet inboard in a little 15ft Donzi that I just bought 2 weeks ago, I've been noticing the engine compartment filling up with water pretty fast.

I found the culprit being 1 of the 2 rubber tubes that are connected to the base of the engine (aft) that lead nowhere and have metal screens on the ends of the tubes. If I hold the tube upwards then no water will come out of the tube, but if I lay the tube down in the engine bay the way they were when I bought the boat then water continuously trickles from it. (Its water and not gas or anything).

What are these tubes for? Why is it trickling water into the engine compartment, and am I hurting anything by pointing the tube upright so it stops the water from trickling?

Last edited:

proflyer

Recruit
Re: Mercury sport jet 120 and water question

the tubes should be placed on the bottom of the boat, with the boat running, the tubes act as a siphon to suck any water out that you may have in the boat. the tubes should be long enough to make a loop that goes up about a foot above the floor of the boat and the opening going down to the floor. that prevents water from coming into the boat through the tube while engine is off or just floating in the water.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercury sport jet 120 and water question

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Both of ya,....

What ya got here is a Jetski drive line in yer boat,...

I'll move this to the Jetski forum for ya,...

Hard to believe proflyer found ya down here,.... ;)