PWC seem like a cost effective way to boat & ski

Doug_FL

Recruit
I bought a new kawasaki jet ski in 1989. Had it for 12 yrs. Even though a new PWC would be like $12K, they burn less fuel and can still pull a skier or board. Boats have become a lot more expensive over the last few yrs. I noticed a small boat with a sixty HP engine is being sold to compete with PWCs. Yamaha has done a good job of building them over the yrs.

Most cars can also pull an 800 lb PWC. With a boat you need a truck. Are more small boats like that being developed? A screw propeller is a lot more efficient than a impeller. So, I think it could be done. The danger of the propeller on a smaller boat, might be a big problem however. The jet ski I had was very expensive to insure. Where as a regular boat, I had before the ski was only 20% of the cost to insure.

I bought a used boat, made in the 70s, in about 1985. It was a piece of junk. I notice now Yamaha now has the biggest market share, in the outboard motor market. I can see why after owning that boat.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: PWC seem like a cost effective way to boat & ski

We have 6 boats right now, and each has a specific purpose. We love our ski and it gets as much use as any of the others. However, it has its limitations. We ski, tube, fish, have picnics and just plain cruise, even early in the Spring and late in the Fall. If I had to have only 1 boat, it would be a runabout, not a ski. If my towcar were a limitation, the boat would be a 16' tinny with a 60 HP OB. That might satisfy ALL of my requirements, but it would satisfy more than any other type boat.