2000 yamaha xl 1200 - Would not go over 30mph now wont start

larrybr45

Cadet
Hello, my 2000 yamaha xl1200 got to a point where it would not go over 30mph. Same day, when I took it home, I could not start it back up. Battery good.....any suggestions?

thanks

Noltz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 2000 yamaha xl 1200 - Would not go over 30mph now wont start

Weak spark? Bad fuel? clogged fuel filter? You'll need to start with a little diagnosis of you own and post your initial findings.

IE;
Was riding solo for about 20 minutes, pushing it pretty hard including jumping off wakes (or) taking it easy and cruising about 40mph. Started to cruise back to dock (or) pushed it to full throttle when it wouldn't get over 30mph. Normally it's 50/60mph without too much effort. The engine sounded normal (or) engine had a rough note, it would not accelerate. The ride was smooth (or) jerky. I shut it off with the key (or) it stalled out when I throttled back at the dock. Back home on the trailer it cranks over normally but it makes no attempt to start (or) it coughs but won't catch.

By describing the symptoms and the conditions that lead to it the regulars can give you an idea of what to look for.

jbjennings

Captain

To the good post above, I would add to pull the spark plugs and check compression first. Then if compression is good, I would check spark. If compression and spark are good you likely have fuel system problem as said. On a 1200 jet ski, your fuel system, including carburetion, should always be kept in perfect shape. If not, you will be certain to melt a piston. I don' t want to scare you but it's not uncommon. The compression test will let you know if you've fried a piston. I would hope for a bad fuel pump or spark problem...
GOod luck,
JBJ

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also check your oiling system to assure the carbs are mixing the fuel and oil correctly. Make sure the small plastic hoses are still flexible and attached to the oil injector pump and the carbs.

I installed a fuel injection system on our ski to make starts easy. These kits are only about $20 and save excessive cranking. It takes a couple of hours to install the kit.

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH