Yamaha waveraider 1100 oil pump

phil77o

Cadet
Hi, I just got myself a 96 waveraider 1100, I'm not sure if it's the previous owner or the previous previous owner that did the oil pump block off trick, but I was wondering how to test the oil pump to see if it's working properly, I'd like to keep it the way it was when the ski got out of the factory. Do people often do this mod because the oil pump is getting tired or old ?

I know the PO used a 1/30 ratio instead of 1/50 which is wrong so the engine had to much oil, I'll need to remove this fuel and get some fresh fuel. Is it dangerous for the engine to have too much oil in fuel ? I'm sorry if I sound noob I know near everything on car's engines but I don't know much about 2 strokes engine.

Thank you

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Yamaha waveraider 1100 oil pump

Hi Phil,

Welcome to the forum. It is a good place to learn these older engines. Since these engines will be around for the next 30+ years, knowing how to use them is important. Yes, as these engines age the oil injection system (hoses,connectors, ect) get old and brittle and will either stop pumping oil or break off the fitting. Then in short order a new engine will be needed. Going to premix avoids this type of failure.

I suggest you inspect the front of the engine and determine if a block-off kit was installed or if the oil pump is still in place and small hoses lead from the oil reservoir to the pump and then to the carbs. If the fuel is old, you may want to drain and discard it. Replace it with 50:1 mixture using ethanol free gas - if you can find it. Marinas are a good place to find the alcohol free fuel and I highly recommend it. Too much oil in the mix will cause the spark plugs to load up (foul) and begin to misfire. Often this makes starting difficult.

If the fuel is not a year old, you can estimate how many gallons of 30:1 fuel are there, then calculate how many cc of oil is in the mix. Assume you are going to fill the tank and calculate how many cc of oil would be needed to make it all 50:1. Then add the oil and fuel, shake the tank (ski) as it fills, and enjoy !

Yes, losing the oil pump will destroy the engine in a very short time. Running the wrong oil mix will foul the plugs eventually, but except for excessive smoking is not a killer problem.

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

phil77o

Cadet

Thank you for your reply, I've done some troubleshooting on the sky to find out the oil injection pump was still running, so the gas tank was filled with premix 40:1 and the pump injected oil into carbs... I also found the rear crank seal to be blown.
I hope I'll be able to replace that seal only by turning the engine upside down and only remove the bottom of the engine.

shagy959

Seaman Apprentice

i would fully advise to stay with premix i just lost a motor on one of these do to the hose falling off the oil pump is it really worth 1000 dollars or more in repair to have it hooked up just so you dont have to messure out the oil