1997 waverunner loss of power

mark1753

Recruit
Just received a call from wife at lake our 1997 waverunner 1200 seems to not have much power above 30mph normally will do 60 easy. Ran good all week until I left for home and my son and his friends took it for a ride on the way back through no wake zone did not want to run very well.
Had them check for weeds not a problem, could someone please give me a starting point on what to look at.

Thanks

rogerwa

Commander
Re: 1997 waverunner loss of power

Sounds like you my have lost a cylider or two. First easy thing is to check that you have spark on all three wires. After that I would ensure that you have compresssion on all three cylinders, and finally ensure your carbs are all clean and tuned.

This is assuming you are not in a limp mode. I have a 760 which is essentially the same with one fewer cylinders. I don't remember if there is a limp mode on this or not.

Also, assuming that the oil reservoir has oil in it or that it is not overheating.

mark1753

Recruit

Sounds like you my have lost a cylider or two. First easy thing is to check that you have spark on all three wires. After that I would ensure that you have compresssion on all three cylinders, and finally ensure your carbs are all clean and tuned.

This is assuming you are not in a limp mode. I have a 760 which is essentially the same with one fewer cylinders. I don't remember if there is a limp mode on this or not.

Also, assuming that the oil reservoir has oil in it or that it is not overheating.

I will check for compression when I get back up there and will pull plugs and check spark the machine was running good when I left. I believe it does have a limp mode when oil is low it will automatically ??power down . They filled oil what other problems would make it go into limp mode?

Thanks

rogerwa

Commander

I couldn't find any info on the limp mode if it exists. Overheating could cause this as well. But also check to ensure you are getting good cooling water flow out of the output port on the left side. The water should be quite warm, but not burning. You could have a clog in the port that captures cooling water.

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are not premixing your fuel and oil at 50:1, you may have a lubrication problem with the oil pump - or the hoses in the delivery system to the carbs. How do the plugs look when you pull them? Dry or Wet? Have you checked compression on the cylinders?

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

mark1753

Recruit

If you are not premixing your fuel and oil at 50:1, you may have a lubrication problem with the oil pump - or the hoses in the delivery system to the carbs. How do the plugs look when you pull them? Dry or Wet? Have you checked compression on the cylinders?

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

I haven't been up there since I talked to wife, I t probably won't make it up to the lake for a couple of weekends, but I need advice on what to look for when I get there. I will let you know what they look like when I get there and the results of the compression there.

mark1753

Recruit

Just got back from lake, lost the rear cylinder, no compression. Pulled plugs and the gap on the plug in that cylinder was non exsistent so assuming that means a hole in the top of the cylinder. What is the average cost to have this repaired?

Noltz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Totally depends on your location and what the market is. You'll need to make a few phone calls this week. Just as important, why did it burn out?

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just did one on a 1200 suv . the rebuilt engine was about $1,000 exchanged and the installation labor was about $1,400. The engine is guaranteed for 12 months. Have the service folks find the issue with the rear cylinder (oil loss, carburator gummed-up, spark plug failure ?) and fix the problem before you crater another engine.

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

slothman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just got back from lake, lost the rear cylinder, no compression. Pulled plugs and the gap on the plug in that cylinder was non exsistent so assuming that means a hole in the top of the cylinder. What is the average cost to have this repaired?

junk it man....that ski is worth $2000 with a good motor lol....time for a 4 stroke !