1999 yamaha 1200 xl ltd has spark on 1&2,sometimes 3. Been part replacing. NEED HELP!

becollins

Recruit
1999 yamaha 1200 xl ltd has spark on 1&2,sometimes 3. Been part replacing. NEED HELP!

Cylinders 1&2 have continuous spark. #3 has spark then doesn't then has spark again. Engine is brand new. I have replaced #3 coil and plug wire. Some have said its the CDI, but from research it doesn't seem so. Plus I tend to think if it was CDI it wouldn't be sporadic. It just wouldn't work period. I'm leaning toward the stator. I don't know how to test and haven't been able to find on any online manuals. Anyone have a how to? Or anyone have any other suggestions before I buy any more parts?

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1999 yamaha 1200 xl ltd has spark on 1&2,sometimes 3. Been part replacing. NEED H

Re: 1999 yamaha 1200 xl ltd has spark on 1&2,sometimes 3. Been part replacing. NEED H

I don?t know on a Yamaha but I wouldn?t think the stator would be smart enough to fire a specific cylinder. I think the stator makes the power but the coils boost the power and the cdi tells it when to fire what cylinder. Sounds like the stator is making power.