Resurrection - 2000 Yamaha XL1200 Ltd. - What do I need to look for?

BajaDan

Cadet
I just recently purchased a 2000 model Yamaha Waverunner XL1200 Ltd with the 155HP, 2 stroke, 3 cyl power valve motor. I bought it off of Craigslist and don't really know much history on the ski. It was a great price though ($800 with the trailer). The former owner acquired it with a lake cabin he purchased. The ski was thrown in as an inducement for the real estate. He couldn't tell me much about it, but he just wanted it gone and out of the way. All he had done was charged the battery and tried to start it. I put a battery tender on it and the battery wasn't any good. I took the plugs out and squirted some fogging oil in the tops of the cylinders and let it sit overnight, installed a new battery the next day, and cranked the motor over with the plugs removed to circulate the fogging oil. The motor pumped out some water in the middle and the PTO cylinders. Probably 1/4 cup total from both cylinders. I checked compression and I only had 70 psi in all three bores :-(... I was amazed to see the hour meter only showed 75 total hours on the ski, but the registration sticker had a March 2009 expiration date. So it's probably been sitting at least four years. My question is: With water obviously sitting in the crankcase are the crank bearings going to fried from corrosion? I'll know more when I get the cylinders off tonight for a closer inspection. Additionally, what else will probably need attention. Carburetors will certainly need a rebuild, all cables will need replacing, power valves will probably need to be cleaned. Catalytic converter will need to be inspected as well. Any comments and or suggestions from those of you with knowledge of these motors would certainly be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your reply...

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Resurrection - 2000 Yamaha XL1200 Ltd. - What do I need to look for?

BajaDan,

My wife's 1999 SUV has the same engine that we had to replace at the start of last year because of a failure of the lubrication system. The oil lines were hard and brittle and the line to the carbs came loose and was pumping lube oil into the bilge instead of the carbs. I suggest you replace all oil lines and try running on 50:1 fuel mixture for a tank (assuming you can get it started), then check the compression again. If the engine is toast a new re-manufactured engine will cost about $2000 to $2400 for a repair shop to do the work. You can get the block for about half of this cost but you would have to do all the parts switching youeself and then return of the core for credit. If its a powervalve engine it may cost more. Best of luck

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Resurrection - 2000 Yamaha XL1200 Ltd. - What do I need to look for?

With those compression numbers and the fact that you found water sitting in the ski, I'd say you will need a new engine or be prepared to completely rebuild that one including top and bottom. Will definitely need new crank, seals, bearings, etc. Best bet may be to check on buying a completely rebuilt engine from SBT (SBT Jetski Engines, Parts & Accessories) or PWC Engines (Water Craft - Rebuilt Engines - PWC Engine, Inc.). In both cases you trade in your old core.

You are right on the money about going through the carbs. On these skis a lean run from dirty carbs, or even more common an oil line coming off the oil injection system is the original cause of the failure. I've seen guys go through the process of rebuilding an engine only to have it fail shortly after installing it, because the original cause of the problem was never addressed (the carbs).