Getting Yamaha Jetski start up again after 5 years - questions ...

Hai Nhi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone.

I left my jetski in my back yard (in Hayward CA) for about 4-5 years without running, doing anything to it. I'm not sure if I winterized it either, too long back to remember if I knew anything back then.

It's a 2006 Yamaha 50 years anniversary cruiser model.

Now I want to prep it for this summer. Should I try starting it? Or is there anything I should do/check before doing so. I bought it brand new and never had any problem back then.

I know I should have done this and done that back then. But let's focus on the present, not the past. :D

Thank you.

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Getting Yamaha Jetski start up again after 5 years - questions ...

You have to drain any fuel out. If it has been sitting for 5 years with fuel the fuel lines, Fuel filter, fuel pump are likely gummed up and even blocked. Other than that if it has oil give it a try and see what it does.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If it were me, I would drain all the fuel as already mentioned and change the oil. I would check all gaskets and seals for any cracks and leaks wherever I can. I would probably pull the plugs and replace and see if the engine turns over with the plugs pulled. I would probably get a new battery.

At a minimum, I would dump the fuel and replace with fresh.

Hai Nhi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Will do that. How you check for gaskets & seals? Visibly only? Never had a chance to actually look at the inside of it. Hahaha.

Hai Nhi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

... sorry, duplicated post!

Hai Nhi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can anyone pls show me how to drain the gas? I tried to put a tube in the tank from gas fill port but it hit the filter it seems. Won't go any further down.

Can't seem to find any instruction/guide from google search yet.

Thank you.