2007 Yamaha pipe joint repair

fastimz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am working on a 2007 yamaha fx cruiser and have to repair the leaking pipe joint in the bottom of the ski. have the engine removed and I need help on how to remove the coupler from the end of the impeller shaft so I can slide off the joint. Any help or ideas would be great. I see a couple tools available but how do you hold the shaft from turning? Thanks

skidooseadoo83

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2007 Yamaha pipe joint repair

Mine was stripped out when i took it off, so it just slide off. It is threaded, right hand threads, counter clock wise to loosen. Couple ways... you can remove the intake grate if you havent already, and put a pipe wrench on the shaft sticking through the intake, it will probably leave marks but it is hardened steel, and wont dig in. Take a pry bar and wedge it between the forks on the coupler and turn it. Or, you can take a block of wood that will fit through the stator housing fins, with the steering nozzle section removed, and wedge it between the housing and one of the impeller fins, and then use a pry bar like above. Or, you can remove the pump/impeller, and im pretty sure they make an inverted impeller tool (female splined socket) that you can hold the shaft with. Oh wait... you have the engine out... if i remember right you can just take the bearing cap and hose clamps off and just remove it by pulling it into the hull. Then you can do all the above mumbo jumbo in a vise. When you put it back in, tighten it down with a pry bar through the forks, and dont worry about getting it super tight, first time the engine torques on it it will be tight.
IMG_2744_zpsee4e46b2.jpg