Suzuki Wet Bike repair

glennj3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thought I would throw this one out for you. Maybe the wrong place to go but I need advice. My 19 year old nephew saw a movie of his mother (my sister) riding and falling off this thing long ago and he wants to get her running again.

I have a very old Wet Bike by Suzuki. If you are not familiar with them, you sit on it like a motor cycle, it sits down in the water and hydroplanes up like oskisis beneath it. Lots of fun, slow and fun.

Anyhow, several years ago I removed the fuel tank and carbs, cleaned them all out and replaced them. It has been sitting since. The seat coverdisintegratingting but thinking the rest my be good. I broke the mekuni fuel pump and is very difficult to get to without cutting a door into the side of the unit.
Can someone tell me another way to find a fuel pump that would work (maybe electrical)? Then the wiring is all crazy too, any way to find information on these things?

Thanks,

Glenn

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Suzuki Wet Bike repair

Never seen one, so
nothing%20to%20add.gif

But I suspect you'll find lots of helpful info over this way ;)

Please keep this thread updated, and ya might post a pix or 2 of it's current state & as you rehab too.

I suspect it might get an updated color or graphics...

Best of luck w/ your project

TurboM700

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have had a few over the yrs. There tons of fun on the water and you will get alot of looks out on the water.

They suck to move around and store unless you build a little dolly for them

What questions do you have on them?

glennj3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, mostly I need to find a fuel pump that will operate, then figure out the electrical harness.
It still sits on the trailer outside, so I will need to replace the vinyle/plastic seat, don't have the foggiest idea where to start on that one.

Just one of those thing I need to get into and move on with it....

TurboM700

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fuel Pump is just a simple diaphragm style and should be easy to get a repair kit for it. Worst comes to worst get one off a snowmobile.

Look on ebay you should be able to come across a seat realitvly easy.

I would first make sure you have good compression and the motor cranks over freely and fast enough with the spark plugs in it.

These things liked to eat starters and they are hard to find and if you do are expensive. Like you could buy a used wet bike for the cost of the starter.

Next make sure it has good spark the cdi units on these would often get moisture in them causing them to have a weak or no spark.

Nest check the jet pump and make sure the impeller is in good condition.

Hate to see you stick all this money into a fuel pump and seat just to find out the pump or motor is bad.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. I still have a small place in my heart for one of these and someday I will own another one.

Mike

glennj3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Mike,
I broke the fuel pump neck off, where the hose attaches, so really need to find another one or use something else. Thinking I could use an electric pump and wire it to the battery with a kill switch or something. The bike motor and all should be in good shape due to I stored it after moving away from the lake, carbs cleaned, cylinders oiled plugs replaced and the compartment is out of the weather.
They may not be that fast but there are just fun especially watching someone try to ride them that never tried before!!

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

you can't use an electric pump without adding a regulator and a return line to the tank. You'd be better off just replacing the original one. I highly doubt you need to cut into the bike to access the fuel pump.

glennj3

Petty Officer 1st Class

In my history of electric fuel pumps, it runs from the tank mid line to the carb. That is what I use on my 52 chevy truck. So I don't know why it would not work on the bike.
There is not enough room to work on the fuel pump inside the bike, I would need to remove the engine.

Sea-Donkey

Recruit

I would need to remove the engine.

Yep...and it's a lot easier than it looks. 8 nuts, disconnect throttle cable, wiring harness, and bilge pump...pull out.

What year is the bike? Last 2 digits of serial number will tell you.

Register for the forum at wetbike.net. The guys there can rebuild these thing blind folded.

glennj3

Petty Officer 1st Class

How long has it been? Finally got the motor out of the Wet Bike, got pictures of the pump, will try to post them. Also it was about half full of rain water, removed the plugs, dry dry, connected a battery to the starter and she turned over great and both plugs fired!

glennj3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Posted some pictures of the engine and pump.
The bottom of the pump is broken to the out port.
So to get the engine running, I think I should not got from the switches on the controls but start from the engine and move forward to the controls switches.
Help here. I plan to start her on the ground, get everything working then move back to the Wet Bike.
I should need gas (pump) and power to it if I use electric. Power to the starter, power to the bilge pump and power to the electric choke.
If I can find all this I should be in gear to move forward?
Anything else you can think of or how to get this done?
Thanks,
Glenn

Attachments

• 140.jpg
    140.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 141.jpg
    141.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 142.jpg
    142.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 1

glennj3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some of the pictures are of it being lifted out, getting late and was getting dark.

Attachments

• 140.jpg
    140.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 141.jpg
    141.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 142.jpg
    142.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 137.jpg
    137.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 138.jpg
    138.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 0

glennj3

Petty Officer 1st Class

just an update, Finally got her all running fine, one carburetor vent was plugged by some bee but finally got that out. Can't wait to rider her soon. Got her re registered too!

Willyclay

Captain

Great news! I had lots of fun on one many years ago. Good luck!

dazk14

Ensign

If you haven't ridden one before... I'll try to save you a couple hours of embarrassment.LOL

You climb on them from the back. Stay low, kind of on chest as you slide forward.

Hook up lanyard and go... You can't start out sitting like easy rider. It'll go straight up in front like a cork and you'll have no steering control.

Lean over the front handlebars to keep the front ski wetted as you come up. Once up you can ride like a motorcycle, but keep that front ski weighted until you get the hang of it.

You CAN sit on those in water without motor running. It just takes practice and wiggling the handlebars can help. At 1st you'll swear any slight tipping and your over.

I owned a half a dozen and went out in small craft warnings in the ocean and had a blast with them.

Good luck!

Last edited:

WillyS86

Seaman Apprentice

If the skin is the only problem with your seat you should be able to get it replaced for 75-175