Jazz jet boat, first time out, didn't snap fuel cap closed, engine died, help?

jordanclark

Cadet
Hi iBoaters

I'm a total newbie here & to boating and I need a little advice. I just bought a '97 Bayliner Jazz 14' jet boat, we just took it out for our first family boat trip. I filled up the gas, I closed the cap but forgot to snap the lock closed. The boat started up and drove fine for 10 minutes. When I slowed down to retrieve an overboard hat the boat wake caught up, pushed the boat a little and within 5 seconds the engine died at low speed, sputtered when trying to restart, and then wouldn't start at all. I'm guessing some wake water went right into the fuel tank. Is this a common thing to happen? Will fresh water kill the engine that quickly? Could the water have damaged the engine?

If this is likely the cause should I attempt to drain the fuel tank and put in some methyl hydrate to get the water out? Should I get/install a fuel water separator kit?

I'm not terribly skilled with engines, but I like to try to do things myself if I can. Please advice if I should attempt or take it to a marine shop to get serviced?

Does anyone have a Bayliner Jazz shop manual?

Thanks very much for your time. I hope this very disappointed screw up of mine can be fixed so we can get out and enjoy summer on the lake.

Jordan

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Jazz jet boat, first time out, didn't snap fuel cap closed, engine died, help?

Hi

Water is heavier than gas hence it will sink to the bottom of the tank your fuel pickup is also at the lowest point so the fuel pump will suck up the water fill up the carb bowls with water shutting down your motor as it does not burn.

You need to remove your fuel hose from the carb place it into a clear plastic container and crank the motor until you get fresh fuel you will see once you don't have water separated in the container, you might have to empy it a few times depending on the amount of water then make sure you empty the carb bowls by loosening the bottom nut untill all of the water is out then hook up your fuel hose to the carb and try starting it (in the Water!!!!) not your driveway. you could put some methyl hydrate to absorb the remaining water in the tank or you could just siphon out the gas from the tank and carbs and fuel pump and fuel hose and start fresh.

Next time make sure your fuel cap is secured and I hope you premix 50:1 if you don't have oil injection else it will be a very short ride.

A fuel water separator is a good investment.

PS the only way water will damage your engine if it gets in the crankcase and it stays in there for a while rusting up the bearings or if you get it in the cyl and hydrolock the motor where it bend the connecting rod's

jordanclark

Cadet
Re: Jazz jet boat, first time out, didn't snap fuel cap closed, engine died, help?

Thanks for the help, I know it was pretty stupid not locking the fuel cap...

When you say crank the engine, do you mean with the starter, or putting a socket on the nut at the top of the engine and turning it by hand?

I was also told by a local guy to take the spark plugs out and cranking it to get water out of the engine?

He also suggested getting a carb cleaner spray? Which kind and where to spray it?

Would it be worthwhile installing a water separator on the fuel line at the same time for any remaining water?

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you get water in the engine compartment? did it get above the carburator?

if not you don't have to worry much about water in the cyl.

I meant crank it by key but remove your lanyard so the engine does not start up accidentally or you can remove your spark plugs but make sure to ground the spark plugs with a piece of wire or you could blow your ignition module.

Don't bother with carb cleaning spary just loosen the bolts on the bowls to drain any water that might be in there.

You can't go wrong with a water separator so go for it I have one on mine.

PS do not use starting fluids as it can wash your cyl dry and loose your lubrication from the oi in the fue same thing with carb cleaner sprays.

Also don't ever attempt to start it in your driveway even for a minute as it can bend your rideplate if it backfires and it will!!!!!

jordanclark

Cadet

No water was in the engine compartment, so your saying in this case water wouldn't go through the carburetor into the cylinders.

My plan is to siphon the fuel, but then where do you dispose of it?

If I put methyl hydrate in, how much does it take? Another person said methyl hydrate messes up the oil injection/lubrication. So does it have to be run through the engine or can you put it in to absorb water then siphon out?

The water separator would be installed before or after the fuel pump?

So even if I install a connection to hook a hose to the water cooling line it still isn't a good idea to try firing up the engine on the trailer?

jordanclark

Cadet

Just posting an update, I took the 2 bowls off the carb and dumped a bunch of water. I also removed the fuel line and it was full of water too, so that was definitely the problem!

I'm going out to get a siphon to drain the tank right now.

I've also ordered a water separator & visible fuel filter to install next week.

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cool once you get rid of the water it shoul be good, i have my water separator in front of the fuel pump and installed a visible filter after the pump.

If you hook up water to the cooling hose just make sure the water pressure is only enough to p ish the water about an 1" while you hold the hose vertical any more ptessure can flood your bottom cyl.

Make sure you turn on the water before starting it up and dont rev it past 1500 to 2000 rpm