title for a 94 yamaha waverunner

bradykay90

Recruit
I have a friend that owns a shop. He worked on a guys 94 waverunner and told him it would need a new motor. Well he gave the motor to the guy and did not here back from him feom him for a couple of months even though he would call him every 2 weeks. He finally got ahold of him after trying for the 4th or 5th month and he told him to come get the jetski. Well its been 4 years now and he told me if i wanted it i can have it trailer and all. Everything except the motor and title. How would i go about getting the title for the jet ski. I just went and looked at it today and everything is still in working order. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. by the way i am in texas

Last edited:
Re: title for a 94 yamaha waverunner

We just had a title issue with a waverunner that we bought really cheap and it turned out to have no title. Short story is the seller lied. It wasn't stolen or anything like that, but he couldnt provide a title at sale but said he was applying for a lost title, but it was cheap and ran good so I took a chance. he never provided a title of any kind so I had a ski that I couldn't even register. So, after some research, we discovered that with a little work we could apply for a bonded title. The first step is to make sure you have something like a bill of sale indicating that you have purchased the ski from your friend, even though he is not the owner. Then you would need to send a registered letter to the owner of record asking for a clear title because you now own the ski, you should be able to find his name on the Texas Parks and Wildlife website. most likely they won't even respond which is fine, because after 30 days you made an honest effort and you show the state that you tried by showing the registered letter receipt. You will need to fill out an application for a bonded title and send it in to the state and you shouldn't have any problems. In fact, the state granted us a clear title without requiring a bond. Do a search for bonded title for Texas water craft and you should be able to find the forms and instructions online. I'm in Texas also and we just did this and by coincidence, with a 94 waverunner. It took some time but I now have a clear title to a good running jet ski with a trailer that I bought for $400 dollars. Good luck.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

If it's Michigan it's way too easy. SOS ought to advertise "no title? no problem!" especially if it's under $2500.

Bring a "bill of sale" (whatever you want to scribble on a scrap piece of paper works), bring it to the SOS, they do a record check (can't remember if it takes 20 minutes or 2 hours). When it comes back clean, do the rest and they'll mail you a title

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ask your shop owning friend about a mechanics lien. Then it's easy because the shop seized the ski in lieu of payment and legally owns the ski. Then call TPWD about getting a title.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Oh - Welcome to iboats, Grady.