94 yamaha wave raider missing after sp plug change

lugster84

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all, I was riding the yammy and it flipped over. we flipped it back quick and it began missing terribly immediately. I idled it back about 10 minutes. I had encountered this in the past and it just needed new spark plugs, after changing the plugs (which was a week later), it is still missing terribly, the motor is only about 6 years old and has always ran strong. Any ideas?

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 94 yamaha wave raider missing after sp plug change

It's hard for me to believe that flipping over a ski will ruin the spark plugs but I know that anything is possible. When a ski flips, often times some water from the exhaust system will get into the cylinders. Especially if it wasn't rolled in the proper direction to bring it back upright. That's why PWCs have a sticker on the back to show you in which direction to roll the ski upright.

I'd bet money that you have water in your cylinders. Take those plugs out and crank the motor to blow out any water that may be in there. If you see water coming out, continue to crank until all the water is out. Install the spark plugs and try to start the engine.

It is also possible that you somehow got water in the gas tank. It's also possible that you got some water in the electrical box causing some problems. Just a couple more things to check.

BTW, I've also got a 94 Raider that I've owned since brand new. I set a new top speed with it last week with a GPS reading of 54.8mph. Not bad for an 18 yr old ski with a little engine producing a puny 80hp!

lugster84

Seaman Apprentice

It has been a great ski, I bought in fall of 06, the guy said it had a new motor in and after we negotiated the deal (I think I paid $900 for it and a homemade trailer that I still use)and during the test drive I was pleasantly surprised at the power. I estimated from day one it went well over 50 but have yet to risk the gps stuffed into the vest. Plus my gps battery only lasts for about 1 minute so it will have to be quick read. After I posted this I went looking further and saw a couple of posts about the exhaust pipe clamp failing and the pipe coming off. I think that is the problem as it happened a couple of years ago and it was doing the same thing. I am going to check that first then I will blow out the cylinders. The ski was only flipped briefly and I always flip it back according to the label (now I know why there is a label), thanks for the input, I will let you know how it turns out in about 2 weeks.

lugster84

Seaman Apprentice

Exhaust connection was secure, I pulled the plugs and blew out the cylinders, did not see any water. Still missing terribly. Possible spark plug wire? I am not sure how to open the electrical box, There is a screw out plug that shows the main fuse when you pull it out but I do not see how to get the box cover off. Should I be checking compression at this point??
Thanks,