Intake Inlet Grate removal question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

emoney

Commander
1996 Sugar Sand Mirage with Mercury 120xr Sport Jet. PO left her in the water for about 3 weeks and in cleaning the bottom last night, noticed there were a few crustaceans clinging to the impeller & shaft. Obviously, the easiest way to clean them off would be to remove the Inlet Grate. Being of below average mechanical aptitude (hey, I'm a wood worker, what of it?), is this something that is as easy as it looks? Looks to me like there's a few screws keeping it secure and if I remove them, the grate should come off. But, I'm also old and wise enough to know that things are never as easy as they seem and Murphy's Law tends to follow me wherever I go. So, before I mess something up, I thought I'd ask. Am I ok removing (attempting at least) the inlet grate to gain access to the impeller and shaft or is there a seal/gasket that I'll need to reinstall? Or, should I not go anywhere near it and try to remove them through the grate?

Thanks in advance for your replies (hoping I get a few soon) as I've already learned quite a bit just reading all the other older posts on these things. First jet for me and even though I'll never be confused for a mechanic, the "outboard part" I'm comfortable with. The "jet"....not so much.

emoney

Commander
Re: Intake Inlet Grate removal question....

FInally got my Sevice Manual and answered my own question. Anybody else that's wondering the answer is;
"Just unscrew it and take it off". No gasket, sealer, etc. Make sure you're unscrewing the phillips head screws and
not the drain/fill plugs for the gear oil.

Chadster

Recruit
I too wanted to remove the grate to inspect the impeller and impeller shaft as a rope had got wrapped around the shaft. I removed all the screws but the grate remained in place. Is it possible it's just tight from dirt or corrosion? I also tried removing the ride plate which needs a new seal. It too is stuck in place partly due to marine sealant. Does the grate have to be removed before removing the ride plate? Any info appreciated.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I too wanted to remove the grate to inspect the impeller and impeller shaft as a rope had got wrapped around the shaft. I removed all the screws but the grate remained in place. Is it possible it's just tight from dirt or corrosion? I also tried removing the ride plate which needs a new seal. It too is stuck in place partly due to marine sealant. Does the grate have to be removed before removing the ride plate? Any info appreciated.

Please start a new thread. emoney left back in 2012.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.