hypersniper, sportjet 120xr with red stator

hypersniper

Banned
i bought a sugar sands mirage with a mercury sportjet 120xr motor. it had a broken crankshaft. thats all fixed now. it has a red stator. the wires were a mess and i paid little attention to where they went when i pulled the motor. like i said it has a red stator, brand new flywheel, new rev limiter and a little box the size of a candy bar and 4 newer coils or cdm's or whatever you wanna call them. im completely lost and dont wanna guess and blow something up . could someone please point me in the right direction to find the wiring diagram or some pictures. id really appreciate it .IM003106.jpgIM003108.jpgIM003110.jpgIM003111.jpg

Anders67

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: hypersniper, sportjet 120xr with red stator

Hi . I have the same boat ( 1996 mirage) and engine:).

Se if i can help you in some way. I have the wiring manual , but i can not put it up here in som way (proctected). I have not the candy bar lokalike on mine engine, so that i dont know what that is??.

Stator has 2 yellow and two green/white. Yellow goes to the reticifer (loading battery) and are parallely mounted with the auto enrichier to give that power when engine starts. The other two is color coded and deliver power to the CDM modules , and one is to nr 1-2 coils and the other one to nr 3-4 coils.

Trigger have 5 right. one black shall be earthed on engine, you have it where the reticifer is mounted on a screw (more earth cables comming up from CDM etc.) see it on your picture. The other ones is color coded so one goes to eatch of the CDM modules purp.= 1 , white= 2, brown=3, blue=4. These telling the CDM when to spark ( like points).lines

The rew limiter is connected between trigger and CDM-s on the brown trigger line to cdm , black ground, black yellow is to black yelllow kill switch harness purple is to ingnition.

You can see the colors to eatch on the contact that you put in the CDM , 4 on eatch contact. Black is ground, black yellow kill switch, one colored for eact is from trigger, when to spark , and green wite 3-4, white green 1-2 CDM giving it power to spark, from stator.

That candy bar thing i dont know, someone else maybe can fill in. The only thing i can tell, is that it is not a Snickers ore not a Japp :D

Regards from Sweden :)

hypersniper

Banned

i surely thank you for your efforts. i also have the wiring diagram from my service manual. i also have a very nice technicians manual which also does not show the candy bar looking thing .. lol...i am going to try and call mercury again and hopefully not get the same nit wit i did before

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the candybar is actually an adapter that was used with the red stator and I think its a rectifier of some sort. I have it on my SJ90 but mine only has one blu wire comming out.

Anders67

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Strange. I have the same stator, same trigger, same CDM, but not the bar-ting. Cant?t you see it in some of your manuals?.

I have it not in mine mannual, and it?s from 1995, 1996 and 1997 models.

Othewise check with a tec. , so it?s not some kind of voltage differents that it shall handle.

Regards.

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think it was used on the older cdi ignition units when you upgraded to red stator but if you have a cdm ignition its not required but I might be wrong

hypersniper

Banned

i forgot to reply that i got it all figured out and am now waiting on my brandy new flywheel which will be in tomorrow. hopefully it will be an install it and go vroommmmm. but not likely. got my donzi running while i was waiting for my flywheel now i need a switchbox for that one. break out another thousand is right !!!!!!

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yup except I now fix my own switchbox so no more cash for cdi's

hypersniper

Banned

i wish i had the knowledge to do that. i can fix just about anything except when it comes to electronics. i can dig out all the potting material but then im clueless as to what to fix next.

hypersniper

Banned

no vroooommm !!!!!! wrong damn flywheel !!! waited patiently just to find they sent me the same flywheel that i already have thats too small to mesh up with my starter. ANYONE HAVE A GOOD FLYWHEEL FOR A 96 MERC SPORT JET 120 XR THEY WANNA SELL ????? IM GONNA SINK THIS DAMN BOAT AND CUT MY LOSSES !!!!

Anders67

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jesus christ !!!!

Well i can?t give you mine.
But take the OE number on your engine to order one. Ore measure it so you get it right.

In pain with you !!!! :facepalm: . Happened to me a lot of times looking and ordering things !!!!

emoney

Commander

Hyper, we've probably all been (at least most of us have been) at the point of frustration you're at now. Try to take a breath, relax a bit, and know that soon it'll be fixed and you'll be on the water having a blast. I remember learning this lesson the hard way as my very first boat frustrated me to point of selling it to a guy for next to nothing. He spent $100.00 on it and ended up enjoying that boat for 10 years. Have you tried a Craigslist post looking for someone that might have that motor in a boat growing weeds in the back yard? You never know it might be right next to you. Hang tough, we're all hoping for you that it's fixed soon!

*EDIT - This is probably a really stupid question, but is there any chance a different starter would work? Just throwing out ideas.

hypersniper

Banned

ok so heres an update where i stand right now... taking a deep breath.... i did some thinking and if this in fact the right flywheel for my boat then the magnets are all in the right place right.... ok so all i have to do is get my starter to mesh up with the flywheel and im good to go. .... i loosened the starter bolts. dropped the starter out and taped a small piece of metal to the upper lip of the starter on the inside and when i tightened it the starter tilted more towards the flywheel causing the teeth to properly mesh together and turn the motor over. half my battle is solved. turn the key and she turns over like it should, no grinding and no binding. now i have no spark. on to the next battle.... I HAVE NOT YET BEGUN TO FIGHT AND I REFUSE TO LOSE ... LOL..... and i want to say thanks for the help so far and the encouragement. i got my donzi running and it sat for 3 years in some guys yard under a cover till i brought it back to life last week .

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Congrats man it must sure feel good to get her running i know how i felt when I finally took it out for a run and it f o r a good few hours without any issues.

Another chapter closed

hypersniper

Banned

not in the water yet with this one. has a couple leaks i need to fix. old marine silicone that i need to remove and redo and the hoses where the steering and forward/reverse cables go through to the jet pump are also leaking. and i may have to do the jb weld trick to the wear ring or i may take it to work and have my machinest bore it out and resleeve it, not about to spend 300-400 for a new one. thats crazy. but getting it to run is a great feeling and a great step in the right direction.

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If yo get your machinists do it use stainless steel for the wear ring it will last longer

emoney

Commander

That's awesome! See, I knew a few deep breaths and some noggin' work would solve it! Almost there now, keep us up to date!

hypersniper

Banned

well i fixed the leaks and put it in the water and started it up and now it seems like its not firing on all 3. took it out on the water and gave it some throttle and it would pick up speed like it was hittin all 3 then putter out did a spark test and #1 wasnt firing so i replaced the coil with a good known one. still seems to be running rough and wont idle. geting an intermitent spark i think , i have a feeling that my switchbox is causing my problem.
aksor you didnt by any chance take any pictures of your switchbox repair did you ??? thinking we could ask the mods to add it to the list of stickies if you did .... :D

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I should have a pic of the guts of my cdi in my thread and i can show you the suspect components. If you can't see it then pm me and i will send you the pic