looking for wire diagram for updated cdm conversion for a 96 mercury 120xr sportjet

hypersniper

Banned
i bought a sugar sands mirage with a mercury sportjet 120xr motor. it had a broken crankshaft. thats all fixed now. it has a red stator. the wires were a mess and i paid little attention to where they went when i pulled the motor. like i said it has a red stator, brand new flywheel, new rev limiter and a little box the size of a candy bar and 4 newer coils or cdm's or whatever you wanna call them. im completely lost and dont wanna guess and blow something up . could someone please point me in the right direction to find the wiring diagram or some pictures. id really appreciate it . kend301 if you could chime in on this it would be great. thans all in advance. here are a couple pics of what im working with.

IM003102.jpgIM003103.jpg

hypersniper

Banned
Re: looking for wire diagram for updated cdm conversion for a 96 mercury 120xr sportj

well acording to my serial # lookup the ignition electronics are all wrong on this motor. looks like someone put older coils on it with a switchbox. the cdm's, voltage regulator and rev limiter that are in the 2nd picture above are the ones i needed to have on the motor. now to figure out the wiring for the updated trigger and stator and adaptor and i should be good to go. and i DO have a service manual for the motor.

hypersniper

Banned
Re: looking for wire diagram for updated cdm conversion for a 96 mercury 120xr sportj

ok im gaining on it i think. this is what i have put together now. i have my whole ignition system laid out on the floor and have most of it together with the exception of a few wires and the upgrade connector box. so any help here would be great. i cant afford to be replacing parts if i cook them.
IM003106.jpgIM003107.jpgIM003108.jpgIM003110.jpg

hypersniper

Banned

ok can someone at least tell me where to connect this please. i have searched this forum as well as did a internet search for mercury sport jet 120xr cdm upgrade and have come up empty handed. this is the only thing holding me back from getting my boat running and in the water. theres plenty of info for the 90hp but not much for the 120xr hp. ive got my new crankshaft installed and everything put back together and this is all thats left......... so close yet so far.
thanks
IM003111.jpg

hypersniper

Banned

really ???? guess im gonna have to call mercury then.:mad:

Trailratethisfx4

Seaman Apprentice

The green/white, white/green wires hook up to the stator and the other wires will hook up to the switch box. because of the red stator kit there will be 1 or 2 wires left open comeing from the switch box. im currently working on a Sport Jet 90 that some one did the red stator kit on, but the damn thing will not spark.

hypersniper

Banned

i have the updated cdm modules so i dont have switch box. and thats my problem. i know the green/white and the white/green from the stator go to the same color wires on the adaptor and duh the black is ground. but where do the blue/white and blue wires go. thats all i have left. i called mercury and they were like talking to a rock on the phone.

hypersniper

Banned

ok i kinda figured it out and i guess its not rocket science. the adaptors final 2 wires connect to the 2 sets od paired up cdm wires but my delema is both sets of wires have female bullet ends so now im confused. do i just replace the ends on one set with male ends or am i missing something. ughhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i really wish someone who knopws this would chime in. i have 190+ views and no one knows ?????? are you all just looking for the same answer as me?

hypersniper

Banned

ok then .... thanks everyone for your help. anyone wanna buy a jet boat. needs 2 wires figured out but dont ask where they go one here cause you will never find out.:facepalm:

Anders67

Petty Officer 2nd Class

purple i think is to ingnition key from rew limiter , and blue on mine is to nr 4 CDM from trigger.

So it?s on mine 1996 120XR.

hypersniper

Banned

thanks anders67 but the wires im looking for are from the cdm connector and they are as the picture shows, the solid blue and the blue with white stripe.IM0031111.jpg

Anders67

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What is that Snickers bar ??.

I don?t have that on my engine.

Trailratethisfx4

Seaman Apprentice

the snickers bar looking thing is from the red stator up date from the black stator. The red stator puts out more power then the black one and i think from what i have been told it regulates the power going from stator to the switch box.

If any one knows of somewhere where i can get that candy bar looking thing please let me know, plus what to call it.

Anders67

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi again.

But with CDM, do you need it ??.

Mine have none, and i have the red stator and same CDM that on the pictures here.

Regards Anders

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The red stator adapter was for the original cdi ignition switchbox the cdm does not use it

hypersniper

Banned

aksor so what you are saying is i dont need it with the cdm's? i plug the red stator directly into the cdm harness with the green/white and white/green and im all set ? im curious why they had it hooked up then. everything is for the updated cdm. ,aybe they were wrong. like i said this was a mess and im just trying to figure it out. now that i have the crankshaft replaced and have 150psi in all 4 cylinders i dont wanna burn out the electrical and set myself even further back.

Trailratethisfx4

Seaman Apprentice

its funny there are a few of us trying to get out on the water but were having the same issue with no spark, my problem seems to be that in my boat is a new motor with miss matched elc parts that dont seem to want to work togather...

hypersniper

Banned

yeah this is all new to me too. im good with the motor parts of it but not the electrical . i was just given a mercury marine technician book for my motor. the one the marine mechanics use and not the one sold to the public. was a nice score. but still dont explain the litle candy bar... so tomorrow i try it without it and see what happens. i can rebuild the motor and carbs and stuff like that ib ny sleep but i suck at electrical.

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I cant be 100% sure because i dont have the 120 and mine is a switchbox based cdi 90hp motor with the red stator i waz basing it on the very first picture that shows a cdi ignition with 4 coils