Waverunner Running Slugish... Spark Plug?

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys

I took the 2006 Waveruner out last weekend (first time this season) and i notice it was a bit slugish. I noticed that when I first got it on the water it was going around 48 - 50 maxed out and once I made serverl laps on the water I couldn't get it pass 40. So I throught maybe the spark plugs need to be changed. I went to get the spark plugs out and i got all put one out. The last one seems to be rounded off in there. Can anyone give me advice on how I can get it out?

If anyone else thinks there might be something else causing me to lose power / speed please let me know.

David

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Waverunner Running Slugish... Spark Plug?

What model Waverunner? And what do you mean by "rounded off"? Did it snap off or is the entire plug still intact?

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its a VX Sport.. And the top of nut is rounded off to ehere my sokcet cant grip it...

ksukats57

Petty Officer 3rd Class

can you get vice grips on it?

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

If its a VX then a bad spark plug is the most likely reason for it not running right. The plugs are very small (10 mm) and foul easily. Those plugs are deep in a plug well, and just about impossible to get a pair of pliers down there.

As to getting the plug out, here are some things to try: I'd spray some penetrating oil down there and let it sit a few hours or overnight, then use a 6 point spark plug socket to see if you can get it out.

If that doesn't work, you might try a rounded bolt removal type of socket if you can find one that is deep enough, and narrow enough to get down the hole. I know Irwin makes a set, and there is the Grip-Tite brand that Sears sells, but I don't know if they sell them individually. I think the spark plug is 5/8". I've got a universal socket called a Gator Grip that works good on rounded bolts, but I think it would be too big to fit down the hole the plug sits in.

As a last resort, this is a trick a friend showed me. You need to dry out any penetrating oil you may have put in there. Take a spark plug socket and mix up some JB Weld and put it inside the socket. Put some Vaseline on the outside of the socket, and put the socket over the plug and let it harden over night. Then try removing the plug and socket, which are now glued together. This will probably screw up your socket, so keep that in mind, but worth it if it prevents having to remove the head, which is the last resort.

As a side note: Once you get the plug out, be very careful not to over-torque the new plugs. They only take 9 ft.lbs of torque. Its a good idea to remove them once per year to prevent them from locking in place.

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ksukats57 - The spark plugs as mentioned by Ernest T or deep down in the head so the only thing that can reach them or a socket.

Ernest T - Thanks for the helpful reply I am planning on trying to get them out tomorrow afternoon I will let you know how I come out. Once again thanks for the help