2000 Yamaha Waverunner XL800 worth......?

mellojc1993

Cadet
I've been really looking into getting a jet ski lately. I've found 2 that are exactly the same, Yamaha Waverunner XL800, one in Atlanta and one in Charlotte. I've talked to both of the guys this is what i've gotten:

Charlotte: $2700
Says about 80 hours....?
Trailer, nothing about a cover(going to ask about that)

Atlanta: $2600
160 hours
Trailer, and maybe a cover.

Are these reasonable prices? And are these good skis to get?
They both say they've had them on the water in the last 2 weeks or so.
I live in Knoxville so its about 4 hours either one. I can't decide.
Also, the pics I've seen look fine. They look well taken care of. THanks

ksukats57

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 2000 Yamaha Waverunner XL800 worth......?

Those prices seem a little steep. What year is the ski? Those are good engines if you makes sure and replace the powervalve clips with the waveeater ones, so the valve doesnt drop into the cylinder and toast your motor.

I would try to pay around 2 grand for that ski. If it was a XL1200, then I'd think about $2700.

Why do you think you need to drive 4 hours to get a good jet ski? You just spent that much on gas and driving all that way makes it a lot harder to walk away if its not exactly what you're looking for.

my .02

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agree with ksukats57. Prices are a little high for a 800. I'd suggest you look for a 1200 model, which has a more reliable engine and more power, and it would be in the same price range. XLs are the 3 seat version and the GPs are the 2 seat versions.

The 800s were fun skis, but they had more problems than the 1200s. This is just my opinion, but I think the 800 engines were Yamaha's worst. Other models were more reliable and fewer problems. You still need to worry about power valves and whether clips have been installed on any 2000 and later 2 stroke Yamaha. Always something to ask about when you are buying one. The clips are not hard to install if it hasn't been done.

Other thing I'd recommend is for a new buyer, is avoid any 2 stroke with more than 100 hours. Not uncommon to see them in need of a new top end around the 150+ hour point. For a 2 stroke 3 seat ski, look for a XL1200 with less than 100 hours. They are popular and you can find them for less than $3000.

mellojc1993

Cadet

Those prices seem a little steep. What year is the ski? Those are good engines if you makes sure and replace the powervalve clips with the waveeater ones, so the valve doesnt drop into the cylinder and toast your motor.

I would try to pay around 2 grand for that ski. If it was a XL1200, then I'd think about $2700.

Why do you think you need to drive 4 hours to get a good jet ski? You just spent that much on gas and driving all that way makes it a lot harder to walk away if its not exactly what you're looking for.

my .02

...........? its a 2000, and i cant find any around my area that are in my price range and arent POSs. any ideas?

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Polaris went out of the ski business around 2005 or 2006, and it wasn't because they were making great skis. Polaris parts are hard to find.....same goes for TigerShark and Wet Jet. I'd avoid all those brands. Look for SeaDoo or Yamaha and you will be OK. Some Kawasaki models were OK and others were not so good.

Where are you located? If you are around Charlotte, there should be lots of skis. What is your budget? If you can afford it you will be much better off with a used 4 stroke. They are more expensive, but a lot more reliable.

ksukats57

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Polaris went out of the ski business around 2005 or 2006, and it wasn't because they were making great skis. Polaris parts are hard to find.....same goes for TigerShark and Wet Jet. I'd avoid all those brands. Look for SeaDoo or Yamaha and you will be OK. Some Kawasaki models were OK and others were not so good.

Where are you located? If you are around Charlotte, there should be lots of skis. What is your budget? If you can afford it you will be much better off with a used 4 stroke. They are more expensive, but a lot more reliable.

Right, stay away from polaris or tigershark. I have had bad luck with seadoo 2 strokes, I would stay away from them too. They can be ok skis if maintained well, but if you get a seadoo 2 stroke, be ready to replace all your fuel lines, and fuel tank sender if you want it to show you how much gas you have. They have electrical issues too. I stick towards yamaha and Kawasaki. But yamaha has 46 percent of the market for a reason. Seadoo has another 46 percent, and kawasaki has 8.

mellojc1993

Cadet

I am in Knoxville, about 4 hours from Charlotte. i'm looking for $3,000 or less

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am in Knoxville, about 4 hours from Charlotte. i'm looking for $3,000 or less

You can find some nice 2 stroke skis for $3000. I'd keep looking for an XL1200 if you want a 3 seat ski. It was a very popular model. Just be patient. Something will turn up.

surfmaster911

Recruit

Hi, I'm looking for a newer ski too.. I'm tired of working on my Polaris slt700 and want to move up. Been looking at all the "super charged" etc, ones. Are they reliable? or stick with something smaller. Seems a lot of 2005 Seadoos 200hp and up are up for sale in the $5500 price range. I'm a 55 yr old guy and want to ride without fixing stuff all the time and get 3-4 yrs out of it., price range $5000-6000.

Thanks, you all had some good tips so far.

ksukats57

Petty Officer 3rd Class

want to ride without fixing stuff all the time and get 3-4 yrs out of it., price range $5000-6000.

Thanks, you all had some good tips so far.

With that info alone, stay away from supercharged

and in my opinion, stay away from seadoo.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

With that info alone, stay away from supercharged

and in my opinion, stay away from seadoo.

+1 Seadoo skis are nice, and packed with features, but more complex.......which means more stuff to break. Plus the pre-2007 supercharged Seadoos had problems with the ceramic supercharger washers failing and taking the engine with it, so check that the washers have been replaced on any of those models before you buy. You still have to rebuild the supercharger every 100 hours.

For $5000-6000 look at a used Yamaha VX, FX or FX HO. All super reliable, no supercharger, regular gas, good fuel mileage, simple to maintain. The VX and FX run around 53 mph and the FX HO around 58-59 mph.

surfmaster911

Recruit

Well, not going for a supercharged one. I don't want to be rebuilding things after 100hrs. After a little more research, the Yamaha's look like like my best bet for the buck. I've heard good and bad on Seadoo and agree, they have more features on them, but more to break down. My polaris slt700 was about the top of my knowledge to repair( simple once I got the manual) but do not want to get into anything more complicated.
I do have my eye on a 2008 Yamaha VX Cruiser for $4000(with trailer), but not sure if the 110 HP is enough for my 200lb fat butt and rider. Also, it has the remote security feature, not sure if that remote goes bad, I'm stuck. Thanks again.