1994 sea rayder sport jet 90 wont start, acts like no fuel????? Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

bedwards36426

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1994 sea rayder sport jet 90 wont start, acts like no fuel????? Help Please

Thanks I followed your steps jumped the solenoid, Read 120, 120, 90. Tested twice to make sure it was right and it was. Oh well. How bad is that for the motor?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

There are steps to fix that.
It could be just the head gasket's bad.
Or the bad cylinder needs rebored(worse case).
Take the head off and check for damage.Post some pics.J

bedwards36426

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well sorry it took me so long to get back for an update. Walked up to the boat Sat. morning and pulled the throttle down and pushed the choke in, turned her over and believe it or not it fired right up. I let it go dead because i guess I wasn't prepared for it to start. Fired it back up got it running and let it run for a while maybe 25, 30 mins. I kept hearing something making a loud spitting or hissing noise every few seconds. Got to looking around and found that the fuel line going to the Bottom cylinder was off. Shut it off, cut the end of the fuel line put it back on and started it back. i noticed this whole time it was running that the motor seemed very hot, i mean really hot. I had the water running in the flush kit the whole time. Let it run a little longer and the same fuel line popped back off. So i shut it down. I heard as the motor ran longer and longer it got to making more louder popping noises like a 2 stroke makes but it just kept getting louder. I thought oh well. I let it cool down and put the fuel line back on. About 6 hours later I ran the compression test 120, 120, 90. I thought uh oh. Tested again same results. Also, tested spark to all cylinders and I have spark to all 3. Also while the motor is running you can see some water coming down from the side of the motor somewhere, cant tell where its coming from, but its very litlle, just a little small steam. Put the fuel line back on after trimming the end again and tryed to start again. It would not start for nothing tryed for like 30 mins. Sunday afternoon went to start it and it started after a few minutes, same things happened fuel line popped off seemed like it was running way hotter than normal. Shut it down after running 10 minutes and put the fuel line back on. Went to start again and as soon as i turned the key the overheat alarm was going off, it never came on while the motor was running. So i left it at that. Came to report back so maybe you guys can tell me what may need to be done or what this sounds like to you guys. Thanks for all the replys in advance.

bedwards36426

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Filled out the rest of my profile. Followed your compression testing instructions. 120,120,90. I also left a update. Tell me what you think.

bedwards36426

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Can the thermostat be stuck not allowing water to move like it should as in a car and thats why its running hot??? I didnt even know it had a thermostat until just looking at diagrams. Any input will help. I sure dont want to have to tear this motor apart right now.

bedwards36426

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Does anyone know how the water circulates in this motor. Like said earlier it doesnt have a tell tale hole. It makes no since to me. It looks like there is one on the back of the boat but, I've followed the line to it and cant tell where it ends up but goes no where near the motor. I makes no since as of now to me why it wouldnt have one or what this is for. If anyone could tell me how the water moves through the pump maybe i can figure out what would be causing it to run hot. Is the thermostat on the motor just to open up for the thermoswitch to tell the motor its too hot or for something else??? It says in manual I have that you can flush the cooling system for possible debris in jet powerhead. It says to disconnsct the inlet water hose at the rear starboard corner of the pump housing and attach water hose. turn water on and flush engine block for at least 10 mins??? Says nothing about running the motor at this time. Could this help or hurt if there may be trash or something in there. IDK just confusing. Thanks

bedwards36426

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Does anyone know how the water circulates in this motor. Like said earlier it doesnt have a tell tale hole. It makes no since to me. It looks like there is one on the back of the boat but, I've followed the line to it and cant tell where it ends up but goes no where near the motor. I makes no since as of now to me why it wouldnt have one or what this is for. If anyone could tell me how the water moves through the pump maybe i can figure out what would be causing it to run hot. Is the thermostat on the motor just to open up for the thermoswitch to tell the motor its too hot or for something else??? It says in manual I have that you can flush the cooling system for possible debris in jet powerhead. It says to disconnsct the inlet water hose at the rear starboard corner of the pump housing and attach water hose. turn water on and flush engine block for at least 10 mins??? Says nothing about running the motor at this time. Could this help or hurt if there may be trash or something in there. IDK just confusing. Thanks

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You should have an overheat buzzer.Try to ground out the sender and see if the buzzer goes off.
You should be able to run the motor when you have the hose attached.
What manual do you have?Factory or aftermarket?
Thermostats are use to open and close the cooling system to keep the motor at an optimal temp for running.
Just like a car.

bedwards36426

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You should have an overheat buzzer.Try to ground out the sender and see if the buzzer goes off.
You should be able to run the motor when you have the hose attached.
What manual do you have?Factory or aftermarket?
Thermostats are use to open and close the cooling system to keep the motor at an optimal temp for running.
Just like a car.

I do have the overheat buzzer that comes from a thermoswitch on the back of the motor. The Factory manual or Mercury manual is the one that says flush the pump with a water hose to clear debris. I have a mercury manual and clymer manual. I was wanting to know about the thermostat thinking maybe it's stuck? If I was to flush the pump for debris can water get into the internal motor like to the cylinders. I really don't know how the water system works on a jet motor. I've heard people say with a flush kit on top the motor you can push water where it shouldn't be. Like I said I don't understand how it works. My flush kit is on top right by the thermostat. I will try to figure out how to post pic of it. What is the main cause of these motors running hot? Thanks

Filthy oar

Recruit
Hello I have a sea rayder 1993 with a sportjet 90. I have spark on 2 cylinders but not on the bottom one. I swapped coil packs with one that I know is good and still no spark, could that be the switch box? I'm sorry to jump in on your thread but I don't know how to start a new one

scubasma

Recruit
1994 Sea Ray Sea Rayder 90hp
Is there a lower unit (gear box) on
these boats that require gear oil
that needs to be changed.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This topic is over two years old. Please do not reply to topics inactive for 90 or more days. And stay on topic, you should start a new topic regarding your question. Thanks.

Mikeg53

Recruit

The sport jets don't have a tell tale. There may be a way to run it out of the water if you can hook up a hose to a fitting in the engine compartment. The water intake is somewhere in the jet nosle, so not about to hook a hose up there. Only other option is to back it into a body of water and keep it on the trailer.

Like said above. DO NOT use starting fluid as it has no lubrication and washed existing lubrication away. Definately NOT good!!!!
I have the same problem with my jet 90 I have spent many hours and dollars trying to figure this out over the years to no avail. As far as starting fluid be sure to use fluid that states it contains lubrication and is good for any gasoline engine. I have been using it for almost 20 yrs without a problem. Or you can spend thousands to figure it out the choice is yours. If you don't have a primer bulb I would install one since I did that It usually starts with one quick spray.

Status
Not open for further replies.