Temp Sensor location on 97 GP760 Yamaha

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have two locations for a temp sensor: one in the exhaust muffler, which there is a sensor now, and one in the front side of the cylinder head, where there currently is not a sensor.

Since I am doing a top end rebuild on this motor in the next couple of weeks, I want to insure that my warning system is complete. I consulted my manual and it doesn't specify how to hook-up two sensors to the control module :confused:

So does this mean I should be using only one sensor? If so, which one? Just want to cover my bases :)

rogerwa

Commander
Re: Temp Sensor location on 97 GP760 Yamaha

Not sure if I am missing something here, but I hav the same model and I just hav the factory sensor. Using that with the connection to the panel and also checking the pee stream, I think that is enough.

I figure if the sensor is not going off, I have water through the stream, and the water coming out of the stream is like hot bath water, I am fine.

I will often reach down and feel the water after a hard run just to see if it is hotter than normal.

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Know exactly what you're talking about and yes I've checked it. The problem I believe was loss of oil since the oil pump sheared a drive pin inside it. Just curious if the OEM placement was in the head of the motor?

rogerwa

Commander

No the OEM placement was in the exhaust tube. If you PM me your e-mail address I will send you a PDF service manual and you can see its OEM placement..

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks rogerwa. I do have a shop manual that shows that placement in the exhaust. I'm wondering why there is also a place for it in the head? Could someone before me have used a cylinder head from another model? I guess I shouldn't worry about it - was just questioning if I had a sensor out of place or missing :D