2004 Honda Aquatrax FX12 Turbo Purchase

RTD Boater

Recruit
Hello everyone. My name is Scott and I am new to this forum. I also am a member of Correctcraftfan.com as I have owned a 1975 Correct Craft Skier for the past 22 years.

I just purchased a 2004 Honda Aquatrax FX12 Turbo from a friend and know hardly anything about it. It was bought new in 2005 so I would be the second owner. It has 45 hrs on it and not a scratch. Service has been done each spring and fall. I have only rode it once for about 10 mins so I literally know nothing about these machines or any other PWC. I am going out on it with the kids in the morning and don't want to mess anything up.

My question is: What do I need to know about this boat? Is it a good boat, bad choice, hard to maintain, a nightmare, etc? I know Honda quit making PWC's but it was a good deal in my opinion. Bought a nice Shorlander trailer for it used for $300. It looks almost new as well. A local mechanic told me that if I never did anything else to this boat, he would always:

1: Winterize it
2. Get a Spring tune up
3. Don't let strangers ride it.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2004 Honda Aquatrax FX12 Turbo Purchase

Biggest problem with the Honda turbos is problems with corrosion of the turbo system. Especially with the waste gate. You need to spray the turbo/waste gate after every ride with CRC, Fluid Film, etc. to prevent corrosion..........doubly true if you ride in salt water. It's an expensive repair (over $3000), so you don't want it to happen. Honda quit making skis in 2009 so finding a certified mechanic can be tough these days as their PWC dealerships are shutting down. There are lots of them out there for sale, so you can get some great deals on them...........unfortunately resale value is not great.

As far as I know everything else is reliable on the ski and they are not that hard to maintain yourself. Most guys consider the Hondas as an entry level ski, so not a bad choice for a first PWC. As far as ride, the Honda's are known to have a sporty, somewhat bouncy and wet ride. Not the greatest ski for rough water, but good on smooth lakes. You will probably notice some turbo lag as the turbo spools up, but not a big deal for most. Fuel efficiency not bad for a turbo, but you need to run premium gas.

In addition to above, I recommend:
1. Thorough fresh water flush after every ride in salt water
2. Change the oil and filter frequently
3. Spray everything that could corrode with CRC or Fluid Film...........especially the turbo system

Also read this: http://www.pwctoday.com/f18/30-minutes-can-save-you-thousands-270728.html