How to make sure oil/fuel is mixing?

redraider08

Cadet
I just bought a 1997 Yamaha GP 1200 and a 2000 Kawasaki SXi 1100 that had been sitting for a couple of years. I put new batteries on them, put some gas in the tank and made sure oil was in the reservoir and they both cranked right up and run well while on the trailer. I am going to take them to the lake this weekend and am wanting to know how to tell if the oil is being mixed with the fuel. I pulled the plugs and the they are a little black so i would think that would tell me the oil is being mixed. My current plan is to clean up the plugs before i go out on the water and check them after running them for about an hour. Any thoughts??

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to make sure oil/fuel is mixing?

I just bought a 1997 Yamaha GP 1200 and a 2000 Kawasaki SXi 1100 that had been sitting for a couple of years. I put new batteries on them, put some gas in the tank and made sure oil was in the reservoir and they both cranked right up and run well while on the trailer. I am going to take them to the lake this weekend and am wanting to know how to tell if the oil is being mixed with the fuel. I pulled the plugs and the they are a little black so i would think that would tell me the oil is being mixed. My current plan is to clean up the plugs before i go out on the water and check them after running them for about an hour. Any thoughts??

First off, do yourself a favor and get new plugs...NKG BR8ES. They're $2 each and it's a lot easier to tell how the fuel mixture is with new plugs than cleaning old ones. For clarification purposes, I'm assuming based on your post, that the oil pump is still installed and the skis have not been switched to premix? If it is, then check the oil lines from the pump when it's running on the trailer.

redraider08

Cadet

They have not been switched to premix. I will change out all the plugs and check the oil lines. Thanks for the help!

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

As those oil injector pumps are nearing 15 years old, you might want to consider blocking them off and switching to premix (from 32:1-40:1). When the pumps finally go, it's not a slow death and a warning buzzer. The just die and you smoke an engine in no time. Just my .02

robcarync

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will go ahead and vouch for the premix....my 94 waverunner III I got as a project ski from craigslist....the best thing I ever did was convert it to premix. You know the mixture will be consistent every time and you don't have to worry about an oil pump failing. Great peace of mind....and in my case the engine ran smoother because the oil pumps were injecting a LOT of oil and I was burning up an entire tank in one quick outing. It is so easy to do.....two bolts....remove the oil pump and bolt the plate in its place. I thought premixing would be a hassle but its really not too bad.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

3.2 ounces of oil to 1 gallon gas = 40:1