97 GP1200 Warning Light Beeping

85 Champ

Seaman Apprentice
HI, I have what is possibly a dumb question about this ski. When i start the ski it flashes a red warning light and beeps until i push the mode button. When I push the button all the beeping and flashing stops immediately and doesn't come back on until the next time i start the ski. I have to push it every time to make it stop. Otherwise the ski runs fine.... starts on the first try every time and runs great.

rogerwa

Commander
Re: 97 GP1200 Warning Light Beeping

THere should be a warning flashing on the display as well. My guess is that you oil level sensor or fuel sender is not working and triggering the light. My fuel sender does not work on my GP760 and it does the same thing. The only dangerous part of this is that you need to be dilligent about ensuring your oil tank and gas tank are filled.

85 Champ

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks rogerwa, the display doesnt give any info about it. The fuel gauge works though and is pretty accurate about the fuel level. The oil injection system was removed by the guy i purchased the ski from, so I premix.

85 Champ

Seaman Apprentice

Actually, just to be clear I havent actually looked to see if the oil injection pump was removed, but i was told that it was blocked. The previous owner said that he had rebuilt the motor due to problems with the oil injection system screwing up and so blocked it and requires premixed fuel now.

Another thing I noticed was that contrary to what others say that the ski will not start until the code is put into the display, or wont start until the display turns on. My ski is not like that.... I can start it and run it all day and never even turn the display on. In fact, lol, I ran it the first 3-4 times and never even realized the display wasnt on...... obvioulsy i eventually turned it on, discovered the code was AAAA and obvioulsy found out that it beeps like crazy.

rogerwa

Commander

You have something funny going on as the display should come on when you start it. If it is locked you will get nothing ( the engine will not try to start) when you try to start. When you start it, then the beeping and flashing red light. Right?? Does the display not come on automatically to show fuel level, speed, and RPM??

If your oil system was removed, then he may not have jumpered the harness to trick it into thinking the oil level is fine. Or he just left the tank and the sensor is reading correct but it doesn't matter bacause you are pre-mixing.

85 Champ

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, when I get to the lake and start the ski it fires right up and the display does not automatically come on. BUT.... after I turn the display on and enter the code AAAA (even while the ski is running btw) it says something like "Welcome to Yamaha" (or something like that anyway) then goes into the standard MPH and fuel gauges and such. Then all of a sudden red light and beeping. I have been pressing "mode" which makes it all stop and everything is good.

Now once Ive turned the display on the first time and entered the code once, it will keep turning itself back on for the rest of the day with each subsequent start. I guess a possible reason the screen doesnt come on during the first start is because the battery has been dying while I have it stored in the garage between uses. I just put a brand new battery in last weekend and havent run it since then. So maybe the dying battery has had something to do with it?

It is strange, but I swear its true that the first time I even turned the display on and realized I needed a code, I was actually running the ski in the middle of the lake. And even got the code wrong! It wasnt until I rode the ski back to shore before I tried AAAA and got the gauges to come up.

Thanks for the help btw!

MEATBALL0309

Cadet

i have a 1999 gp760 with less then 55 hours got it about three years ago. first thing first whenever you start the waverunner doesn't matter when and have unlock by putting the code in the waverunner beeps till you press mode. mine does this to reset the running timer for that trip. i have put nearly twenty hours on it in 2 and a half seasons and it does this everytime i start it after putting unlock code in. second if you can start the ski without the code then the po has bypast the security system. this is to insure no one goes away with your ski i would diffenetly get that fixed.second if the display is not on (you have started ski without code) then you trip counter and hour counter is not on so your engine hour is now off by how much who knows. i have had to install a battery every year i have owned this ski and that would have anything to do with the screen not coming on. it seems to me the starting system is bypassing the computer.
good luck

85 Champ

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Meatball... I do think there is something screwy with the wiring like you say. The previous owner probably did some tweaking to the wiring/display/computer because i don't think that it even tracks hours at all, and thats probably because every time i start it, it is tracking hours as if it was brand new. As soon as i shut off and restart it wants to start tracking all over again since its being bypassed? This is probably a job for the boat shop I guess, or maybe since its really not fatal i will just leave it be. I have insurance if someone steals it!

rogerwa

Commander

Send me a PM and I will send you some info that will allow you to check out the wiring harness. these are not that complicated. If you have not done so already, do a browse around under the seat and the steering area looking for disconnected or jumpered connections.

Gpatrick

Recruit
I have a 1998 gp760 that I bought new. With little more then 50 hours on the ski both the fuel and oil gauges always read 1/3 of a tank and the warning alarm sounds any time it is running (even with full tanks). This ski has never had aftermarket alterations. I've searched in the past for solutions to this problem and this is the only article I have been able to find. Would this be sensors?

rogerwa

Commander
These sensors are notorious for failing. You have two choices, pick up new sensors and replace or jumper the connection to stop the alarm. I have read about people disassembling them and rebuilding, but it may not be worth the trouble. I have read that the float becomes saturated or a resister burns out as possible causes in these. The oil sensor is pretty inexpensive off of E-bay and easy to replace. The fuel one - more expensive and not so easy to replace. I did my oil sensor but have not done the fuel one due to hassle. If you want to jumper the leads to stop the alarm, PM me and I will let you know what to do. It will take a few minutes to find but it is pretty easy.,

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Folks - This is an old topic. We do prefer starting new topics instead of tagging on to old topics. Thanks.