Fennec 1994 Bayliner Reflexx / SportJet 90

fennec

Recruit
Hello everyone!

I recently purchased a 1994 reflexx with a Sportjet 90. I was not sure what the overall condition was of the motor so I started with a compression test. (I also did the WD40 trick and re-tested). Here are the results and some of the pictures from the motor.

~ Cylinder #1 - 105 psi
~ Cylinder #2 - 35 psi
~ Cylinder #3 - 120 Psi

Looks like I may be in for some top-end rebuild?

Attachments

• 2011-05-27_18-07-55_501.jpg
    2011-05-27_18-07-55_501.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-05-27_14-51-28_626.jpg
    2011-05-27_14-51-28_626.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-05-27_17-59-48_879.jpg
    2011-05-27_17-59-48_879.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-05-27_17-59-35_256.jpg
    2011-05-27_17-59-35_256.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 0

fennec

Recruit
Re: Fennec 1994 Bayliner Reflexx / SportJet 90

Looking through the Shop manual for doing a top-end rebuild I am at a large decision point. Based on a lot of conversations There are a few scenarios that could come of this boat......

1. Complete the top en rebuild based on the manual and 'see how it goes' I have done this before on a more 'recent' motorcycle engine but I have never really worked on a major repair on a marine-powerhead.

2. Purchase a refurbished sportjet 90 powerhead from a place like cowley-marine or find a used one.

3. Purchase a refurb. or used sportjet 120 powerhead?

As a novice with Marine engines, I worry that I will get in 'over my head' with this project and figure that I saved so much with the purchase that I could fork over the money to a powerhead that I can maintain and take care of (that is already running?)

Any opinions?

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry...I haven't gone that deep into a Sport Jet yet.

I also believe option 3 is out as the jet drives have different gear ratios.

philly5eagle

Seaman Apprentice

I've got a 95 reflexx I'm working on now and I'm in a similar spot. I had some issues with that motor so I'm dropping a 93 motor in it that I picked up from someone. The compression on the middle cylinder of the 93 motor was low just like yours. I pulled the head and found the rings on that piston had come apart. Not sure what caused it. I'm going to tear it apart, have someone local bore out the middle cyl (not sure to what yet) and hone the other two. He is going to clean up the head as well, all for $85. I'm going to replace the middle piston with an oversized one and replace the rings on the other two. You can bore only one cylinder on these from what I have been told so far in a number of places. Looking for pistons now myself. See my thread 95 reflexx with issues.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Very clean motor , pull the head and take a look , I would rebuild what you have . look on ebay for a seller named "fasterthanmachiene" he has some awesome rebuild kits at the right price.

fennec

Recruit

ohhhhhkay.. So I purchased a new motor and swapped everything out (carbs, flywheel, stator, electronics).... I hooked up a 'pony tank' to see how I did, and with a little choke it kicked over and 'tried' to run. I figured I was close so before trying it again I took it down to the water... I have about 10 gallons of premix (fresh in the tank) and tried to turn her over. no dice, and I ended up with a lot of fuel in the pistons (after pulling the spark plugs, they were dripping with fuel)... I figure that I have a 'timing' issue as they are not firing all that yummy fuel, Sooo Here are some questions process I plan on following (Please feel free to chime in!!!)

1. Recheck and adjust fuel mixture screws.

2. Timing... Now I have the book but I dont really understand how to time it properly. ..

First i have to get cylinder #1 to max height and check the mark on the flywheel and intake manifold (should match)
Now is where I have questions... For Checking timing at cranking speed.....
As I crank the boat with a spark tester, How do I check the timing with the rotor as I crank? Light flashes I stop cranking? I must be missing something...

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

MV.Cats.Meow

Recruit
Rebuilding top end only reminds me when I did that to an old, nearly-free Honda Civic, it only proved the rings were bad as well. Once an engine gets old enough to break without special provocation, you really need to check everything.