1996 Sea Rayder 120xr (problem starting)

fineazell1

Recruit
I put the sea rayder in the water yesterday after sitting in the garage for a couple of months. It fired up on the first try then died. It would not start again. It would turn over fine, just wasn't getting fire. Checked the plugs and they were black. So I replaced the plugs that night. Dropped the boat back in the water the next day and it fired up then died again. Tried to start it again but now the flywheel turns about 1 rotation and stops. I can't turn it by hand clockwise at this point. I can rotate it about 3/4 turn counter-clockwise then it won't turn any more. Then I can go back the same distance clockwise with the same result. It feels like a pressure stopping it and not a mechanical stop if that makes any sense. There is no noise other than a slight sound of air coming from somewhere as I am putting pressure (by hand) on the flywheel to turn.

Any ideas of where I need to start? I checked to see if I pulled something up into the impeller and as far as a visual inspection (of what is visible) I don't see anything.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1996 Sea Rayder 120xr (problem starting)

First of all pull the plugs and see if it will turn by hand with them out , if it does check the plugs for any dammage from piston contact and be sure they are the right plugs . If all goes well and the engine turns , plugs look good , check the battery for voltage and proper cranking amps. You have to have 12 volts to fire this type of ignition system ! Do this , post results and we can go on from there if needed

fineazell1

Recruit

Last night I pulled the plugs and I was able to turn the flywheel fine. I talked to my brother about it and he suggested I made sure when putting the plugs back in that I make sure the motor is TDC when replacing the plugs. The battery is brand new so I know that isn't the issue. So I am getting the manual so I can read how to change the plugs. This all started after we pulled the plugs so I'm sure it is related.
Thank you for your post.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Putting the plugs in at tdc will have no effect on locking the motor up , was there any sign of damage to the plugs ? Also please do yourself a favor and check the battery , I have been in the automotive service business my whole life and have seen my share of bad / weak brand new batteries !!!

fineazell1

Recruit

no damage to plugs. battery tested fine. anything else i can check?

fineazell1

Recruit

Just a follow up for anybody that happens upon this by searching google for a similar issue.
I had multiple issues but one major issue. First, changing the plugs after sitting for a while certainly can't hurt. So I would suggest that. Second, I had a slight starter problem. The spring on the Bendix(sp) wasn't pushing it back down. I fixed that with a little powdered graphite lube. Now on to the problem. After pulling the plugs I let the starter turn the engine for about a minute (in 15 second increments waiting 5 minutes between each session). The engine freed up and the pressure was gone. (by the way this makes a mess) After putting the plugs back in and trying to start it (with no success) the pressure built up again. So again I pulled the plugs and relieved the pressure.
After putting the plugs back in I decided to manually give it gas while starting and voila it fired up. It wouldn't idle but I know I had a fuel problem at that point.
Long story short I pulled both carbs and they were FILTHY! I cleaned all of the gunk with guitar string and carb cleaner, put it all back together and it ran better than ever.

Also, as an added bonus, last year I was having to send someone to the front to plane out the boat. Since I cleaned the carbs I am apparently getting full throttle now and the boat is planing out on its own with both me (200lbs) and my brother (240lbs) sitting in the back seats.

Good luck (I hope the helps somebody) and enjoy your boat.

ITO

Recruit

Hello!

My 1997 Searayder stopped last summer, and in my home country (Norway) there is not much help to get regarding this boat. As Norway's short summer is getting closer, I worry that i might not be able to hit the water because of this issue. You guys obviously know a lot about this boat, and I wonder if you know where to get the part needed to get my plugs sparking again. There is only a tiny little spark, not at all enough to start the engine. I have of course tried to change the plugs... The boat had a few stops, then worked well again for a while before it finally didn't start at all..

Some snowmobiles have an ignition amplifier that we call "cdi-box". I would like to buy a new one to my mercury 120 (if there is one :redface:) Where is the best place to get this part? Is there a webshop somwhere in the US? A part's list of the engine would also be appreciable...

Can someone help me ??

Best Regards

Ingar

pmacdo01

Recruit

i have a 1997 sea-ray searayder f 14 with 120hp merc sportjet motor. ive had the boat 3 years runs good once started, but have always needed to give it a quick squirt or starter fluid to get her to turn over. once turned over once i never had to do it again that day. i have a new battery. terminals tight. it sounds like r............r... r.... rr.... rrr rrrrrrrr.... then once turned over runs good! today though i noticed when at idle the motor was loosing rpm's. once i gave throttle it would subside. my neighbor is a mechanic and he said the carbs are prob really bad and need cleaned. so i went a little past idle and shot some carb cleaner into ports for 3-5 secs. the motor sputtered then stopped. the boat was restarted and we used it for about an hour before it got harder and harder to start. then it eventually wouldnt turn over. i would hit the red ignition key it would spin but not turn over. i had to get towed in. any ideas? my neighbor also said it could be the alternator? thanks!-phil

wiwi598you

Cadet

I feel like I should not be commenting on this because I just had the problem and had mine brought in for repair. Summer boat fun???????
But I will just say the following...

When I tried to start my Sea Rayder Jet Boat 120 it went RRRRRRRR>RRRRRRR>RRRRRR>

I sprayed some ignition fluid and it did actually start. I did this in my drive way and it worked perfectly.... Then when I got it into the water I had about 6 or seven restarts.
There is a slight buzzing / beeping sound. Then it fired up. Yippie....
Then I throttled down and went about 1/2 a mile down the river and pow... The engine stopped.

Needless to say I was pissed so I pulled it out and drove it to a mechanic for evaluation...

I did change the battery and that was in perfect condition. More to come...

waterx117

Cadet

Spraying Carb cleaner in these carbs can actually loosen particles gumming it up and push them through the carb and get stuck in the jets. Best to disassemble the carbs to clean them.

kaotiktravis

Recruit

Hope this helps, I had that same problem with it turning over hard, and all it ended up being was a bad connection. i took all of them apart from battery to solenoid and to the starter. polished them all up good and ran a secondary clean ground from the engine to the starter.... turns over awesome n
ow when it was turning over slow the connections were getting hot and it was an all of a sudden thing. was turning over fine then all of a sudden would barely get one revolution with two batteries hooked in parallel