Can you flip a PWC to paint it, leaving the engine in?

EBlake

Cadet
OK, I've read & heard all kinds of horror stories about possibly getting air in the oil injection system if you turn a PWC upside down & leave it, for instance, in the case of being prepped for & painted. I'm getting ready to paint mine & can do it lying on my back if need be, but flipping it would definitely make it easier to do the hull. I'm really not excited about pulling the engine(why make a big project bigger?) & actually I think I'd roll it on it's side &/or work under it before I would consider pulling the engine.
Does anyone have any solid information about what can & can't be done, or how to do &/or what not to do, concerning leaving the engine in & flipping a PWC.
The PWC I'm painting is a 94 Yamaha Waverunner III (2 cyl. carbureted, oil injuction[non pre-mix]).
Just wanted to ask all the experts.
Thanks
B-

rogerwa

Commander
Re: Can you flip a PWC to paint it, leaving the engine in?

YOu would need to drain the oil and gas tank fully. But there should be no harm in flipping it. I would run pre-mix until you know the oil injection was purged of any bubbles.

WastinGas

Seaman Apprentice

How do you plan to support it once you get it flipped? sounds interesting. Good luck

coptathat

Recruit

Cant be too bad for them, mine used to spend most of its time in the water upside down!