1996 yamaha waveraider 1100 will not turn over

tracies001

Recruit
Yamaha just quit on us! Battery fully charged, and getting power to the start button, but will not turn over, no clicking... nothing! Any ideas?

JPS6881

Cadet
Re: 1996 yamaha waveraider 1100 will not turn over

This may not be the solution to your problem, as it could be a number of other things, but I had the same symptoms on my Yamaha. As it turned out, there is so little clearance in the jet pump propeller housing, that it corroded together and would not allow the engine to turn over. I'd pull the driveshaft and you'll know whether the lockup is in the engine or not.

The Penguin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no need to pull the driveshaft - just pull the plugs and try to turn the engine coupler by hand.

was the engine running when it quit, or will it not start?

If it was running, quit and now won't start - remove the plugs and try to turn the coupler as mentioned above.

nimrod69

Seaman

Going through the same thing on mine. Like they say, check the impeller end.
Remove the plastic coupling cover and wiggle each end to see which is in a bind. Bet its the impeller dragging.

tracies001

Recruit

We have actually done all of the above, the engine will turn by hand. I am getting power to the start button, but when you try to crank it, it will do nothing at all. It acted up on us a couple of time at the lake, but would start, and then nothing. I'm thinking a short in the wiring somewhere?

The Penguin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

trace the wires from the s/s switch inside the compartment.

If it's like other yamaha skis, there will be a water proof plug (or pair of plugs) near the electrical box. I think most yammy's are similar.

you may have a red/brown pair and a black/white pair.

unplug the black/white. this disables the stop circuit and may allow the ski to start - if it starts - the stop circuit in the switch is bad.

if it still does not start - unplug the red/brown pair and carefully using a jumper wire, short across the red & brown wires inside the plug coming out of the e-box. if the ski starts, the start circuit in the switch is bad.

if the problem is in your switch you may be able to disassemble it completely and clean it. reassemble it using plenty of dielectric grease.