Are Polaris Jet skis any good?

ryan04

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys need a quick opinion, I might be picking up a set of polaris jetskis. As I've been looking, for some reason all of the polaris ones have rebuilt engines for some reason. Every add "just rebuilt by polaris" is in them all. Are these prone to something or are those just morons kickin' the crap out of their equipment. Thanks

bently

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Are Polaris Jet skis any good?

How can I say it, jet ski's are like babies, if you don't give them the attention they need then all hell breaks loose. The major issue with the Polaris ski's were that the oil injection would fail and then the motor soon after. Once they moved the oil injection to front of the motor it became more reliable. The fuel lines, fuel pump and clean carbs. If you are one who really likes learn how things work/run a jet ski is easy to understand and then you can do and maintain them very easily. I would stay away from 92-94 polaris ski's, these models are the ones Polaris cut thier teeth on and have many updates it is hard to keep them straight. I would never lend, borrow or rent out my ski to anyone. There are people that just trun the key and go, later they ask you what the blinking lights in the dash are for, then they wonder why it will not start anymore.

jalbert34668

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah! I let my brother in law take my yamaha waverunner gp1200 out and it stalled on him. I towed him back with my boat and he starts telling me there was warning lights going off and just wanted to keep riding it, it finally stalled out on him. So I 'm tearing apart the motor because the impeller wont spin and the motor wont turn over it was just clicking, any way took the cylinder head off and those warning lights were because it was overheating, One piston out of three is seized to the head and I cant get the head off any suggestions on how to salvage my toy! I loved it and took great care of it. It has a auto oiler that wasn't working on that cylinder and it was telling him but he didn't listen. Can you help me with suggestions on how to save the motor and get that head off!! Please help!

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer

My father has a 1996 Polaris SLT 780 that he bought used when it was a year old.. it still runs like a champ, every fall I winterize it for him by dumping a little antifreeze down the aux cooling port, then fogging it.. In the spring I put 3 new plugs in it after burning off the fogging oil with the "winter" plugs, the thing just keeps on running.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Polaris went out of business 6 or 7 years ago. Maybe there was a reason for that!

In my neighborhood, all the Polaris dealers sold ATVs and cycles too. Now, none of them sell watercraft of any kind, so I have to wonder about service and parts availability.