Questions about '96 Sugarsand Mirage Sport

Oode

Seaman Apprentice
OK, got the boat, I know the manual is not so good, or so I've heard, but there are a couple small things I haven't figured out about the boat itself (I have the sport jet manuals...)

1 - 2 position switch far left on the controls,, what does this do??? the rest I've reasoned out to bilge pump, running lights (that don't work) and deck light..

2 - the rear post, it just has a hole in the top, I assume there used to be something in this to tie to, any hints what it looks like??? It looks like the table pin fits in, but that is a weird place for table...

3 - The hole up front on the bow, what is it for??? the Table pin fits in it too, but it's only 1" off the seats..., again, a weird place for a table...

I'm sure I am missing something here but any help is much appreciated. If anyone has a scanned manual that would be wonderful...

TIA

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Questions about '96 Sugarsand Mirage Sport

pictures!

#2 is your stern light, it should be stashed somewhere down in the engine compartment.

Oode

Seaman Apprentice

I've got a stern light fitting on the back starboard side, (light stem is missing of course...)
This post is in the center, in front of the engine compartment, it screws in, stands about 18" above the rear deck. I assume it's supposed to be a tow pole, heavy enough for it, but just nothing to attach to.. I'll try to take some pics during lunch.. or at the lake tonight..

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes we really need pictures of your switch layout as well as each place you are wondering about , and are there any electrical plug in connectors.

Oode

Seaman Apprentice

Here are the pictures, the switches left to right..

Mystery 2 position (actually 3, center off) switch, click up or click down, it will stay with light indicator up and down..

bilge pump

Mystery switch #2.. prob nav lights, but can't get my meter probes in there to check

Deck light off console..

There is a lighter plug power outlet, but it is always on, as is the stereo. just purchased a battery switch today and plan to install..

Post, big thick alum top pole, screws into base behind seat.

all guesses welcome!!!!!

Attachments

• switches.jpg
    switches.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 0
  • post top.jpg
    post top.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 0
  • post.jpg
    post.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 0

boat58

Cadet

The two posts are for the white folding plastic seats that you sit on for fishing, you must not have them or you would have figured that out.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Posted info is correct !

Oode

Seaman Apprentice

OK so with a missing folding chair I can now do high speed post sitting... hmm.

That still leaves the 3 position switch. Seems to have no function. Is there a bilge blower on these things???

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Your 3 pos switch should be for 1 of two things ,
1 lights , one position for all lights including anchor light and second for just the anchor light .
2 Bilge pump , one position for the bilge being on all the time the other being for operation activated by the float switch only.

Oode

Seaman Apprentice

Hmmm need to track down the bilge blower/switch....

I had initially assumed the 3pos would be the bilge pump... I'm used to boats with a auto/manual/off switch, but that isn't the case on this boat. It's an on/off switch, no float either.

Lights... don't think so, but could be.... I'll look into that. I guess the stern stalk could be considered an anchor light....

Now, back to the bilge blower... where might that be located??? (yes, I know, the bilge,,, but where???) All I've seen so far is free vents....

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

you REALLY need a bilge blower in sportjet powered boats... For some reason all my Sj's have always had a decent gas smell in the bilge. Any boat with a carb will always have a path for gas to evaporate, and when you have 3 carbs, its 3x as bad as your typical car based inboard.

bently

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe the Sugar Sand boats had a fishing package option which would explain the pedistol seats. That package also included a livewell, could that switch be for that? The switch could be one position for on middle off and third for timer setting. You should have one compartment that maybe set-up for a livewell, up front maybe.

ross78

Cadet

i have the same boat. mine has 3 switches on the dash, no fishing package. i would assume if you have a 4th switch it would be for livewell. the other 3 are lights, bilge, and blower. Blower is very important!! the front hole is for fishing seat/ table. i use my fishing pedestal with the seat off to elevate the table. rear hole in the center above the seat is for fishing seat/ ski, tube pole. boat should have come with a pole for pulling ski/tube that is about 18 inches tall and actually screws into that hole.. hope this helps

Oode

Seaman Apprentice

OK, I think the mysterys are resolving....

The 3 postion switch is indeed the nav lights, up for all, down for just rear or anchor light.. still getting them cleaned up, but should be done soon.

Second switch is bilge pump

Third switch is for my apparently nonfunctional blower... Anyone know where this is located??? I can't even find the sucker, but I can smell it if I leave the switch on too long.... not good..

Fourth is the "deck" light, neat little light that shines next to console, probably part of the fishing package..

OK, so the pole mount is for towing and seating... but I didin't get the tow pole, just a seat pole... Anyone have a picture of the pole so I can make one?? since there are not supports, any idea how much load the mount can take??

Thanks for all the help guys, it's slowly getting sorted out. This boat is a sweet little ride.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Blower should be in the engine compartment , look for 4" white dryer hookup type tubing that vents to outside air , inline with the tubing should be the blower motor , Post up pics of your engine compartment if you can't find it

Oode

Seaman Apprentice

Yup,
found it today, frozen up solid, fanblade not even in sight. Long since past...
Pulled it and ordered a replacment from Amazon, supposedly more water resistant..

MYSTERY SOLVED!!!!!!

Thanks all, think I've got everything in motion now to get it all sorted out. Still waiting on the fuel pump rebuild kit to see if that fixes the top end issue, but everything else is now a known ...
:D

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Cool deal , Glad to hear it !! Let me know if the pump kit gives you the top end you are looking for :)