1996 Yamaha Wave Venture 1100 Triple

borntohunt1993

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just got a a 1996 Yamaha Wave Venture 1100 Triple, It has been sitting on a dock for 2 years and they said last time they had it out thay thought it had some carburetor problems. Well it had a dead battery but I hooked another one to it and it fired up instantly, althought it was on the trailer so I killed it after like 5 seconds. Waited a little while hit it again and fired right up. So I took it and backed it in the water and it fired right up, died and wouldnt start back. Today I didnt want to fire but finally it did and I had to give it gas to keep it running ran it for like 5 seconds shut it off since it was in my garage and I heard something I looked down back and it was pouring oil out by the impeller??? Do pwc's have a lower unit oil, like outboards??? Help please???

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1996 Yamaha Wave Venture 1100 Triple

I'm not too familiar with Yamaha, but Sea Doo has gear oil in the jet pump cone. it might be that which clearly isn't a good thing.

borntohunt1993

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, so how bad a thing is it? What will I have to do to fix it? I guess it blew a gasket or something for that to come out.

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class

if that is, in fact, the issue, you take off the pump nozzle, then you can access the cone...it's probably 3 bolts that you undo to take it off to get to the gasket.

borntohunt1993

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok thanks. Is this a hard job to do?

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's not that bad. Just be patient and if the cone doesn't come off...tap it, not BANG THE CRAP OUT OF IT.

Here's a video i found of a sea doo one...might be a little different on your ski but it should help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjil9OdfsL8

borntohunt1993

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Okay I watched the video's and they really helped thanks. I went and looked at mine and I know the oil didnt come out around the jet cone. I think it might have come out around the big part idk what to call it but it's about the same distance back and alot bigger. Is a seal the only thing that could of caused this or what else can I look or when I tear in to it? It has been sitting on a dock on a lift it's whole life. And it's not been moved in two years and the bottom was jest below the water I think or it's been splashing up on it one becase it has corrosion on it, could that have anything to do with it?

bently

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is it black and like a sludge coming out of the exhaust. It is probably just water and oil mixture coming out of the exhaust. Your exhaust mixes with water to help cool it, the water itself will turn into a dark sewer like liquid by itself, especially after two years. You should run your ski on a hose (low pressure) while the ski is running and the black fuid will clear-up. Do not run it long on the hose to keep the pump bearings from heating up.

borntohunt1993

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I didnt know that. Maybe it is. I had just started for about 5 seconds and cut it off and heard it pouring out by the impeller area. It didnt come out the cone but about that far back. I realyy don't know I'm 17 this is my first time to have one I just got a really good deal on it.

bently

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check out this website, Green Hulk PWC. there are Yami guys that will help you out, take your time and you will not have a problem. They will help you learn what is needed to keep and maintain your ski. That is a good stable ski and can pull skiers and tubes, good luck.

Also, if you hear something strange or it runs a little different, those are tell tale signs of a possible problem, get it checkout and ask questions, those who can get you answers will help you diagose future issues.

borntohunt1993

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes it was coming out of the exhaust. It has I think a super charger on the exhaust and dual's at the end, I stuck my hand in both duals and that stuff was coated all on the inside. So once I knew it wasnt pump oil or anything I cranked and immediately it put a little more out. Since this hasnt been started in two years is it normal for it to smoke alot?

bently

Petty Officer 1st Class

It will smoke alot at first if there is fogging oil in the cyclinder and crankcase, fogging oil is used when winterizing and or for when you ski will not be used for over 3 weeks. It protects internal metal parts from moisture and rust. The smoking should slowly reduse but not completely go away, remember there is oil in the fuel mixture so it will smoke some. You can further reduse the smoke by using some synthetic oils.

borntohunt1993

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes I know synthetic oil's are the only way to go. I'm going to drank the gas (since idk how long it's been in there) and replace all the fuel lines and filter. I've noticed to other line's that come out of the fuel tank and go under my intake manifold were my carb's are. What are these? Because it has the line that comes out the petcock in to a filter and into the farthest carb away I guess I can fill a little fittin under there.

bently

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe the lines coming out of the gas tank are:

Main fuel line
One way breather line for allowing air into the tank as fuel level drops
Reserve fuel line
Over flow line that brings excess fuel, from carbs,back to the gas tank.

borntohunt1993

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Okay I'm just replacing the main line line and reserve line that got to the petcock and then the out line and filter from there to the carb. This has turned into a two day project, I got my out line and filter replace and then I went to remove the reserve line from petcock and the line broke and I worked on it for about 3 and 1/2 hours b4 I raised the calling up so I can get my hand's threw that away. They are the original lines and after 14 years of setting on a dock in the sun, they have like baked to all the fitting's.

bently

Petty Officer 1st Class

After finding the fuel line routing diagram you should not have the excess fuel retrun line to the gas tank and your air vent is part of the fuel sender assembly. So you are right with only a main line and a reserve coming out of the tank.

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class

another good idea is to remove the petcock and either clean it or replace it. that can get clogged up as well as the fuel lines and filter. they're not that expensive so my reccemondation would be to just replace it, but a good cleaning will work as well.

when i do a fuel line job, I always put a touch of grease on the nipple where the fuel lines go over in hopes that they won't become fused to the nipples if I ever have to remove them again,

borntohunt1993

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Okay, does anyone know were I can view a online manual for this ski? Also I need to drain the fuel, Is there a place on it to drain it?

borntohunt1993

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Another question for ordering parts and stuff, It is 1996 Yamaha Wave Venture 1100 Triple, on the inside by the engine it has a sticker that has the model # wvt1100u ??? I was just looking at a parts website and when I put in 1996 Yamaha - Wave Venture 1100 and wvt1100u popped up under models. So which one is it and what's the difference?