Putting together a '94 Yamaha Waverunner III

borz170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am new to jetski's but I am an experienced do it yourself mechanic. I have been given a hull from a '94 Waverunner III and I'm considering purchasing the engine, drive and related parts to make her functional. I need all of the engine, drive and electrical components. The hull still has the cables, fuel tank and motor mounts, gas lines, etc. I would like to make
her run and don't care if it is original with the 701 cc engine, or if it is smaller with a 650, or larger with an 1100. Can anyone give me some insight as to what motors and line up? Will a bigger engine even fit the hull? What Engine and drive components will be universal with what engines? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

dbric36

Seaman
Re: Putting together a '94 Yamaha Waverunner III

Will end up costing way more than it is worth

The Penguin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

X2

but any yamaha 650/701/760 motor should bolt right in.

rogerwa

Commander

Be cheaper to find a donor ski. Find one with a good powerplant but damaged hull or look at multiple damaged units. That to me is the only cost effective may to go about it..

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer

ya man even trying to buy the parts used piecmeal will break the bank. You can find these for 1000$ running. I got mine for 250$, put very few parts into it and am still into it for prob 900$. Find a complete ski running or not. At least all the parts will be there. I think there is a co. selling fresh rebuilt engines for 600$. But yours will need alot more. Get a complete ski. Give yours to someone else. To give you an idea of cost. I needed just a latch and i think it was 50$. Oil pump, 100$. Carb 150$. 1 cable 75$. you need like 4. Start stop switch 150$. Coil 100$ maybe more (cant remember). Temp sensor 75$, Computer. couple of bills. you will be into it for 2500$ by the time your done. And some of those parts will be used so its not a brand new ski.

borz170

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies. Yes, after posting this I went on eBay looking for parts. I found that the parts would be way too expensive. I found a 1991 waverunner III 650 that has the engine out and needs rings for 200$ with a good trailer. Hull looks good and all parts are there. It ran prior to needing ring job. Also, I found a 1993 waverunner III 650 that has a bad hull and no trailer or title for 100$. It ran 3 hrs ago and has sat since. All parts are supposed to be there. I have the hull from a 1994 wr III, so I want to buy both and make at least 1 running ski, if not 2.

Does anybody know the difference between a 650cc and a
701cc? Are they about the same in performance? Should all parts bolt up? Exhaust, drive unit, etc?

The Penguin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

bolting up - they are near identical.

you might need a stock exhaust for a 701 (should be able to pick that up cheaply on www.x-h2o.com - place a wanted ad in the WTB forum), carbs are interchangeable if you have a single-carbed 701 motor, but you might need to re-jet the carb from the 650 when you put it on the 701.