How to freshwater flush a 1994 Yamaha Waverunner 3

sbklf

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1994 Yamaha Waverunner 3 (650 cc), has a hose with what appears to be a quick connect (reminds me of a hydraulic quick connect I see on tractors except it is plastic) for flushing. I bought a manual but it does not reference this connection or give a flushing procedure at all. I remember once someone told me that the motor needs to be running before the water is on to prevent flooding of the cylinders with water and I don't want that. What is the procedure and where might I find a connector/adapter for a water hose?

The Penguin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How to freshwater flush a 1994 Yamaha Waverunner 3

it sounds like someone who used to own the ski put a quick-connect flush kit on the ski and didn't give you the piece of the kit that connects to the hose.

check the following pages from Hot Products to see if you can see the fitting you have.

Since you are in Houston - I'd be happy to help you get it sorted out. I live on the west side of Houston, and spend my weekends (generally) in Crystal Beach.

as far as flushing procedure, you should start the ski first, the turn on the water - allow the engine to run for 5-10 minutes. turn off the water, then kill the engine.

you are correct in that connecting a flush kit to an engine that is not running could force water through the engine and flood the engine.

*edit* - I can't upload the catalog pages due to file size.

go to www.hotproductsusa.com - then click on "2009 Catalog" at the top, then click the "waterline/bilge" section - look at pages 158/159 for the various flush kits.

Last edited:

Sqeekhunter1

Recruit
Re: How to freshwater flush a 1994 Yamaha Waverunner 3

New to the ski world. I have a similar quick connect fitting in the cargo box of one of the 2 skis I bought this weekend.. question is why and when do you "flush" a ski? is it needed only when using in salt Water?