1996 Polaris slt 700 Runs great then wont start

hanses

Cadet
Just bought it ,great shape. Put a few drops of gas in carbs fires right up ,blast around lake no problems,return to shore ideling great,hit stop switch and then wont re start. I noticed the fuel filter separator -see through 3 in tall is always about 80% full but never any more than that. Thanks for any input.

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1996 Polaris slt 700 Runs great then wont start

When you come back to shore and it doesn't crank, if you add a few drops of gas to the carbs does it crank and run again??? What shape are the plugs in?.....

My Seadoo did this, and priming the carb it would crank and run great.....Long story short, while I know this isn't the correct solution I replaced the choke with a primmer from an aftermarket source. Fixxed the problem, cold and hot starts are a breeze and it was a simple 20 dollar, 15 min. fix.

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer

My yami fuel filter does not fill up all the way either. I think its supposed to be like that. How long before restart. Did you try your choke? Mine starts right up after sitting short periods of time but longer needs alittle choke.

hanses

Cadet

Choke dosent do anything--your Yami is a lot different kind of oranges and ovacadoes.

hanses

Cadet

When you come back to shore and it doesn't crank, if you add a few drops of gas to the carbs does it crank and run again??? What shape are the plugs in?.....

My Seadoo did this, and priming the carb it would crank and run great.....Long story short, while I know this isn't the correct solution I replaced the choke with a primmer from an aftermarket source. Fixxed the problem, cold and hot starts are a breeze and it was a simple 20 dollar, 15 min. fix.

Hi Seaboo--it cranks over and over it just wont fire up, Good point that the choke may be clogged??The water was very cold 35 degrees . Was just test driving it not tring to have too much fun here in the middle of winter . Can a simplistic choke actually clog?? i can see the butterfly completely close shut while ime cranking it , just dont know if the fuel is being dumped in at the same time. What exactially is this after market primer your describing?? Thanks

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

No a choke can't "clog" (if the flap closes it's doing it's job...It doesn't actually "inject" gas--that is accomplished by the extra suction the flap creates). The primer kit is available anywhere (dennis kirk, or other aftermarket supplier). What it does is elimates the choke and physically injects a shot of gas into the carb(s).

What I was sugesting you try is to do is: start the jetski (by placing a few drops of gas in the carb), run it, bring it back to shore, place a few drops of gas in the carb, and see if it starts up then.......If so a primer kit will do the same thing (and problem solved).

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

that won't solve the PROBLEM it will solve the symptom,, the problem is the carbs need to be rebuilt,, the filters are probably dirty and the diaphragms are probably old and brittle, those problems can get the mixture lean and eventually burn a piston,, also the reeds may need to be checked and the fuel hoses from the tank may be loose and leaking air around the connections.

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

that won't solve the PROBLEM it will solve the symptom,, the problem is the carbs need to be rebuilt,, the filters are probably dirty and the diaphragms are probably old and brittle, those problems can get the mixture lean and eventually burn a piston,, also the reeds may need to be checked and the fuel hoses from the tank may be loose and leaking air around the connections.

X eleventy billion:

My friend has 5 polaris and rebuilt his 900 last summer. It ran great the second time we took it out though it was a little hesitant on the throttle and would have problems starting (need more choke than usual). After an hour the ski wouldn't even get on plane after. He went to shore and ran a compression check while we skied around him in my boat. Long story short, one carb was running way too lean and burnt a hole right through the BRAND NEW piston and messed up his BRAND NEW jug. REBUILD THE CARBS!!!

He also has a 700 Hurricane that wouldn't restart after running great, but this was due to a bad kill switch connection.

hanses

Cadet

Jeff you are very generous with your profession here .I have read soo-many of your posts here and your a saint. How do you find the time to help all these guys out. I am gonna start a new thread to exclusively have everyone thank you for your valuable time. Thank You Jeff Ps Hanses

hanses

Cadet

No a choke can't "clog" (if the flap closes it's doing it's job...It doesn't actually "inject" gas--that is accomplished by the extra suction the flap creates). The primer kit is available anywhere (dennis kirk, or other aftermarket supplier). What it does is elimates the choke and physically injects a shot of gas into the carb(s).

What I was sugesting you try is to do is: start the jetski (by placing a few drops of gas in the carb), run it, bring it back to shore, place a few drops of gas in the carb, and see if it starts up then.......If so a primer kit will do the same thing (and problem solved).

HI Seaboo---yes a bit of gas in the carb throat and she will fire up. The choke seems to be doing next to nothing. Ime gonna go with JEFFS advice that the carbs needs re-build,,diaphrams e-t=-c letting it run good some times but not starting back up correctly . One chunk of crap diaphram on the right place and the weekend at the lake will come to a halt. I hoped it would be an easier fix , however the time has come to Re_ Build the damn carbs. Ime gonna suck it up. Thank all you guys.

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

K... Like I stated a primmer isn't the right way to fix it (on mine I hated the choke anyway, and it wasn't running lean, just agervating to crank when hot) so it acomplished my goal.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

when you do the carbs do yourself a favor and bypass the selector switch for the fuel. block off the other pick up from the tank and go directly to the reserve pickup from your fuel pump. those switches cause a lot of issues when they get old,, new skies don't use those switches, a fuel Gage is all you need or just monitor your fuel level occasionally.

Clutchbreak

Recruit
I did not do rebuilt on carbs and I'm going to check compression tomorrow will the carbs throw off the compression if the carbs are Shi.........