• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

1996 Sugar Sand Heat 120hp jet

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Sugar Sand Heat 120hp jet

Hello

I just purchased my first boat itís a small 1996 Sugar Sand Heat 120hp jet for $2000. Iíve been looking all over the internet for information on using a boat like this in South Padre Island on the bay side. My wife and I spend about 2 month out of the year down there windsurfing. But when the wind is not blowing we need something ells to do. So I thought this would be a good first boat for pooling a tube or fishing. The bay side is usually is only about 5 to 4í deep and the good fishing spots or about 2í deep. The bay side does have some weeds. We do have to use weed fins for the windsurf boards. But after thinking about it I really donít see any jet boats on the bay side anther than jet skis and most boats or flat bottom fishing boats. So Iím looking for advice on using this boat in South Padre Island.

Thank you for your time
    Mike

Re: 1996 Sugar Sand Heat 120hp jet

Mike ,
    All you can do is try it , The Jet Drive Grate on the bottom of the boat will pick up a bunch of "stuff" . When mine picked up enough pine needles to block 1/2 of the grate the boat was ok to 15-20 mph but vibrated like hell on wide open throttle ... If the water is warm and you dive in cleaning the grate takes about 1 minute ... I now do this after I leave my 1 mile long canal before I get to having some fun .
    The up side is that a Jet Drive will have NO PROBLEM in 2 feet of water , Just do not drive through weed beds that cover the surface and you should be fine .. May not pick up anything at all ... Just try it ! Soft Marine weeds will not hurt anything as long as you realize that if the boat starts vibrating on acceleration ... something needs to be done .. Even as simple as driving it at a lower speed .
    Another trick that helped me alot is to run the boat at "trolling" speeds ie 1-4 mph out of gear using just idle throttle , this will put the reverse gate down part way and help to flow water under the grate , this helps ALOT !
    ANOMALY
    1994 Bayliner Reflexx
    90 hp Merc / Force Sport Jet

If you do not like my advice, Remember , My Boat Runs , So can yours
    If you are not ready to spend $25 for a manual for your boat then sell it
    He Man Outboard Haters Sport Jet Club .... president

Comment

Watch the temp gauge and flush it out according to the manual when your done. My old school 650 yamaha says run it on the hose for 15 min. (you should do longer if in sand) then remove the hose for less than 20 seconds and shut down. (i guess thats to remove the water from the cooling passages) I shut down well before 15 seconds because you melt rubber stuff.
      1983 26ft. Tiara Continental
      Twin 3.7 470's Purchased in 2010
      Has not seen the water yet.

Comment

I do appreciate the feedback. It does look like the mane reason we donít see a lot of jet boats down there is because of the salt water being so corrosive to the jet. So it looks like I need to pull it out of the water after each us and run water in the jet and also rinse of the boat. Do you think I just take the garden hose and run the engine and spay the jet inlet with the garden hose? The boat did not come with a manual and for some reason are hard to find.

Thanks Mike

Comment

Mike ,
          Yes you must flush the boat if operated in Salt Water , The flush kit should be hooked up at the pick up for the engine , On my Sport Jet it is on the Port side just behind the cylinder head . Salt Water will eat away at the block , that is your main concern . Also if you do get a flush fitting do not run the hose at full pressure as it will compromise the head gasket !
          ANOMALY
          1994 Bayliner Reflexx

Comment

Mike, kend301 may not have been specific enough. You have to flush out your motor after use. Even fresh water i dont think is good to leave in your cooling passages. But you have to be careful doing it or you will toast the rubber drive parts. Read what my post said above. Even if you cant find a manual for your boat you should be able to find one on the engine and follow it to the tee. That means seconds count. Good luck.

Comment

WHAT rubber drive parts??? they don't have conventional water pumps to my knowledge, so other than the jet pump supplying the cooling water or the flush hose when not in the water I can't think of any rubber drive parts that could get worn out.. I will say this try adding a shot of liquid dish soap in to the flush port before using the hose,, as the engine flushes you will see the soap exit the pump area,, when you don't see any more soap you have flushed the engine,, you will learn it takes about 3 minutes to do this,, after that you are just wasting your time..
              I once thought having a 6 figure income would be great,, now I have a 6 figure income TAX , wats up with that!!

Comment

Jeff, I was just quoting my manual for a 650 wave 111. The Clymer manual for that model on page 96 says on bullet 3. "Flush the cooling system for approximately 10-15 minutes while running the engine at a fast idle" "Caution: Do not run the engine for more than 15 seconds out of water or the rubber parts of the exhaust system will be damaged" (my bad, i said drive system) Jeff you have probably forgotten more about jet drives than i will ever know but i was just quoting the manual thinking most older jet drives were the same. My point was pay attention to your manual because you can mess some stuff up.

Comment

on a ski you will melt the exhaust hoses if you run it without water going in to the engine as the water also cools off the exhaust system,, his boat is using a outboard engine for power with a jet pump adapted to it,, he can actually rinse his engine with the engine off since the engine sits straight up vertically just like it would if it were an outboard. Something you can not do with a horizontal engine like in a jet ski.
                  I once thought having a 6 figure income would be great,, now I have a 6 figure income TAX , wats up with that!!

Comment

Re: 1996 Sugar Sand Heat 120hp jet manual

Thanks for the information I was able to find a service manual down load for $4.00
                    http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.p...95-120-service
                    Iíve been watching jet baot videos on YouTube thy are amazing and I canít wait to get this boat to South Padre next month.

Comment

Re: 1996 Sugar Sand Heat 120hp jet manual

Originally posted by Mike Warn View Post
                      Thanks for the information I was able to find a service manual down load for $4.00
                      http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.p...95-120-service
                      Iíve been watching jet baot videos on YouTube thy are amazing and I canít wait to get this boat to South Padre next month.
                      I've got a '96 SS heat 120, as well as a '01 tango 175. (also had a 96 heat 95hp at one time) The heat 120 is a fun little boat! That thing moves, and will easily take flight with a fairly small wake. (ALWAYS wear the safety lanyard!)

couple things to watch for... If there isn't a butt holding a seat cushion down, stow the cushion in the back compartment. Those things WILL blow out, and replacements are impossible to find. Some of the boats came from the factory with really tight wiring under the dash, if your fuel gauge quits working it usually is the power terminal that connects to the key switch. Clip the zip tie and you will get some extra length.

Finally, converting it over to premix with a block off plate is not a bad idea, that motor will last forever then. Running oil injection means your engine will last as long as the plastic oil pump gear doesn't strip out. A rebuilt 120 will run you $4k.

Comment

Thank you thatís great information. I will be towing the boat down to South Padre in about 10 days. Iím very excited to give boating a try but a little nervice just because I never drove a boat before but that ads to the excitement.

Iíve been on lots of boats and it looks like you just need to use common sense. One thing good about padre its only 4 to 5 feet deep on the bay side so if there is any trouble we can walk back.

But Iím still having a hard time finding a user manual. The service manual does not say anything about crank case oil or how often it should be changed or even changing the air filter.

Also things like what to do if the boat will not start and your out on the water. Is there a choke or a way to prime the curbs?

But operating the boat looks pretty simple you have a troutle with forward and reverse and a small knob that I think it disengages the jet. So when starting the engine I should have the knob poled out and have the throttle forward a little after the engine starts but the throttle back in the center and push the knob in and its ready to go correct?

O **** this is going to be fun

Comment

Yes Mike when you start the boat have the drive knob out and the throttle just a little forward , But do be aware that the jet never truely disengages , the impeller is always spinning . Never work on the drive or try to clear the drive with the boat running !! In tight spots I start my boat with the throttle in the reverse position ( puts the reverse gate down 1/2 way ) just a little to keep the boat from moving.
                          Your choke should be eletric if you push the key in while cranking the choke will be on . I added a primer bulb in the fuel line from the tank to fuel pump to prime the carbs , Good investment , available at Wal Mart .
                          Since this is your first jet please post any questions you have as they are a little different to operate than a prop drive boat .
                          Happy Boating !!
                          PS .. There is no air filter , No oil in the crankcase , Is your boat a pre mix or do you have oil injection with an external tank in the engine compartment ?
                          PSS !! I just reread the entire thread and DO NOT run the boat out of the water without a flush kit hooked up !!! , Unburned fuel will collect in the ride plate area and will do serious hull damage if it ignites !!!
                          ANOMALY
                          1994 Bayliner Reflexx

Comment

The boat has an oil injector and from the forums it sounds like itís a good idea to change to premix. Itís hard to believe there is no engine oil needed accept for the 2 cycle oil and no air filter but thatís great fewer things to worry about. Hay thanks for the help.

Mike

Comment

we never had issues with the oil injection on that motor.
                              DO NOT start that engine using the CONSUMER flush device that is permmanantly attached to the engine. Its possible to lean out and blow the ex divider plate gasket.
                              happened,a lot.
                              I worked for a Force dealer and we took on sugar sand(Mirage) jet boats about 1991 and I left about 1996 so I am familiar with the engine, I actually still have the engine service manuals for the 90 and 120 versions.
                              DO not idle in 2 ft of water if at all possible, that jet CANNOT be taken ;out of gear; you have 3 positions on the diverter or reversing gate,up for fwd,midway down for nuetral,kind of, and all the way down to divert the water jet back under the hull for reverse,kinda.
                              ALL of the engine cooling water goes from the stator housing to the engine via a hole about the size of your little finger and sand and debris can and will clog it.
                              in shallow water at low speeds that jet is still sucking water and at low speeds can lift all sorts of sand,pine cones and other debris off the bottom.
                              two biggest issues were with priming the carbs,this can be eliminated by adding the electric pump from the V6 version and wiring it to the start side of the starter terminal.
                              2nd was as the impeller and wear ring clearence increased so did engine RPM that motor tends to chip reeds at about the point the rev limiter wants to grab it.
                              just remember that similar to a jet ski,you have limited control at low speeds and even with the shifter in the N position the hull will still move.
                              its just how they work.

but when ya get good and wish to divorce the wife try a 360 manuver at WOT.
                              first time will terrify you and after that its fun.

there is a dealer flush kit avalible to run the engine on the flusher.
                              be aware that a primer bulb in the engine compartment is against both NYBC and USCG regulations.
                              your sugar sand,while still using an outboard powerhead now has an enclosed engine compartment and has to go by added regulations that normal outboards dont.
                              NEVER start the engine without running the blower for at least 5 minutes and lifting the hatch and sniffing.
                              no tech questions by PM, they wont get answered.
                              you have to be trusted by the people that you lie to .

Comment

Working...
                              X