• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

welding a Aluminum crankcase?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welding a Aluminum crankcase?

Have anyone try welding a Aluminum crankcase ?

dose it work?

video

Alumiweld Aluminum Welding Rods
    my Johnson 150TL79C1516657

Re: welding a Aluminum crankcase?

Originally posted by nguoi_viet41 View Post
    Have anyone try welding a Aluminum crankcase ?

dose it work?

video

Alumiweld Aluminum Welding Rods
    Hey nguoi, The problem with welding aluminum with a torch or oxygen accetalyne rig.
    The flame will contain carbon. Carbon and aluminum do not like each other.

When welding aluminum, the metal has to be cleaned. A Tig or Mig welding process would be used with pure Argon as a sheilding gas. If you want it done right so it will hold. Consult with a good welder with these skills. Hope this helps.

Comment

You can weld an aluminum case pretty easy. Don't go with those aluminum rods and torch though. Cofe is right. You need a TIG for aluminum. I'm not sure if MIG will work .

Comment

They do have a MIG welding process for Aluminum, but TIG would be you best bet. It is the best for getting a good weld. If you know anybody with a AC Hi Freq machine they can do it.
        sigpic
        1989 suncruiser 24 ft pontoon. 1979 johnson 70hp 3 cylinder

Comment

I have done all of the above. The rods suck, a spool gun on a mig is ok, but kinda sloppy looking, tig is the best way to go. If you pull the part and clean it up, welding it should be a cheap fix at any good weld shop.
          I have a hole in the water and a hole in the dirt that I use to put all of my money in.

Comment

Working...
          X