97 Sea Doo Speedster Jet Boat Please help engine problems

marionr26

Seaman Apprentice
need to explain my good day that turned into a bad day and see if you can help me. Ok well to update you on last problem when I went to full throttle before and couldnt go over about 10 mph and the engines sounded like they were gonna shut off. Took it to seadoo seems on of the exhaust on one engine had came loose and the other engine wouldnt do nothing cause all the exhaust fumes in engine compartment wouldnt let the other one work..thats what they said.

Ok now the good day to the bad: went out dump throttle both engingin up to 6000 and 6500 rpms lay down and flying on the water like 53mph then no wake slowed up prob end up just floating along 10mph for about 30 to 45min went to later dump it either engine rpms would go over 3500 and about 15mph more throttle almost sound as engine we about to cut off so pulled down on throttle. Back to about 2000 rpms on both engines just floating then tried it again same thing i look back notice some muddy water grab a paddle stick in water go down a bit hit mud omg!!! so turn go more toward middle to get out that later look back just water behind me no mud so ok I thinking I was just in mud it was holding me up dump both throttles same thing 3500 max rpms engines screaming back off them pull the cover to look in where motors are where the starter s are when its running those are turing well there was some water back there so the starters turning was kicking up water all over the engines. well tried to keep giving both throttles so the same thing happens. This point i have settle to just go my 10mph only thing is we are about 6 miles from the landing well we make it about 3 miles then i see rmps on right engine going down that engine shut off completely. I tried number of times to crank it while on the left engine it never cranked up. So we have just the left engine running 5 to 8 mph dont want to put to much on that engine we still go 3 miles to go. We made it to the landing on the left engine got loaded up pulled the plug in rear drained all water out engine compartment. fired up the left engine cranked fine the right engine still want crank.

I have the right engine that dont crank at all.
I have the left engine that cranks but want go over 3500 rpm my boat has to reach 6000 rpm both engines to lay down in the front and go any thing less its up in the front and never lays down.

Do you think it was the mud?
Could this be fouled plugs? Plugs new only been out twice with them

Please if you can help I would appreciate it. Im starting to not like sea doo boats with the engines so close to water and some water been able to get in there I would think a outboard motor with perpellar would be better. Sea doo is 90 bucks hr shoot it was 110.00 for them to hook up the exhaust that came undone. So if you can tell me some things to try I would appreciate it....I wish there was a way to tell if the engines had all there power without putting it in the water tough after work to get it in the water and it still not have power.

Is there away to keep some of the water out the engine compartment I guess with Jet type its not?

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: 97 Sea Doo Speedster Jet Boat Please help engine problems

I really wish I could decipher what the hell you just wrote. That is a mess of incoherent thoughts and run-on sentences.

The best I could get out of it is you have a twin-engine SeaDoo jetboat. The exhaust manifold came loose and caused the bilge to fill up with exhaust fumes which wouldn't let the other engine run, which you should have seen/smelled upon opening the hatch when you first had trouble. Then you took it to the repair shop and they fixed it.

Next time out everything is running fine but you ran into shallow water and maybe sucked up some mud into the engines? First of all, if the boat is on the trailer, get underneathe it and inspect everything under boat in the intake grate and make sure everything is creal of mud, rocks, ropes, whatever. Then inspect the impeller for damage and look at the stator vanes to make sure nothing is lodged in them keeping the engine from turning or just blocking flow.

Next, it seems like water is getting into the engine compartment (bilge)? There shouldn't be water in the bilge on any boat, regardless of the powerplant. A little bit in the bottom is okay if it cam from waves than came over the bow or water dripping off swimmers who just got back into the boat. So, I would guess that since water was touching the starter(s), you probably toasted a starter, so pull it off and get it tested or rebuilt. Secondly, pull the plugs on both engines and inspect them. Make sure there isn't any water in the cylinders that got sucked in, hydrolocking the motor.

Lastly, when you put the boat back in the water next time, run the engines at idle for a while and keep the engine hatch open so that you can find out where the water was coming from (assuming you remembered to put the plug in the transom drain).

marionr26

Seaman Apprentice

What is the stator vanes?????? IM new to this sorry. If not I wouldnt be asking this. I saw no hoses loose today at all. Looked under there but didnt have a flash light at the time Im gonna look with one a little more closely.

I looked in there today pulled plugs cranked it nothing was coming out the cylinders put one plug wire on the plug layed in on top of motor cranked it..I didnt see any spark at the end of the plug. You say check for wet ignition box thats the grey box mounted beside the gas tank its like screwed shut so I need to unscrew open that up. There was still water drops on top the motor today but we got a hard rain last night so thats why. I looked up under the boat saw where two slits next the back were in the boat I look down them saw like a plastic fan blade thing Is that the pump??? I didnt look with plash light to see if it was anything hung in it. Im get 4 new plugs put in it try one engine will crank run just want get up to 3500 rpms I want know if will ever until I get it back in water wish it was a way to check on trailer....

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Next, it seems like water is getting into the engine compartment (bilge)? There shouldn't be water in the bilge on any boat, regardless of the powerplant.

Although I haven't personally seen the drive system of the seadoo boats, i'm guessing it is 99% identical to the same engine seadoo jetski's... They have a carbon seal that is meant to leak a little in operation, so you will always have a little water in there. Which is also why they build a bilge pump into the jet pump design, it uses vacuum to suck the water out.

marionr26

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 97 Sea Doo Speedster Jet Boat Right engine wont turn over

Now after a week or so 4 new plugs in that right engine just goes chugg wont turn over the left engine turns over fast....Whats with the right motor?

upallnight

Recruit

Now after a week or so 4 new plugs in that right engine just goes chugg wont turn over the left engine turns over fast....Whats with the right motor?

The right engine could be seized. Remove the plastic driveshaft cover and see if you can turn the engine over by hand without the plugs in the engine. If you can't turn the engine over by hand you have a seized engine. A rebuilt engine is around $1400 bucks plus manhours to remove and install. So if the Seadoo mechanic is charging you $90 / Hours, you looking at another 7200 bucks. And you still have problem with the other engine that won't go over 3500 rpm.

hypersniper

Banned

it could also be a seized bearing in the jet pump and not the engine. siezed pump will not let the engine turn over. pumps are way cheaper and a good place to start to check.

emoney

Commander

It could be a bad starter. Could be a lot of things. How much water got into the engine compartment? Any more than "just a little"
then something else is going on too.

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You sucked up mud into the engine's cooling system and probably overheated it seizing one and damaged the other, looks like its time for a rebuild.