96 wave venture 700 exhaust

Joearmy44

Recruit
I have a 96 wave venture 700 that I bought at auction and it would start and idle fine but would not get up and go. It had bad gas in it so I drained it all out and put fresh gas in and the same thing. My nephew messed with the carbs and the same thing. Then I read on here somewhere about the exhaust hose so I check it and it was almost completely plugged up from getting to hot. I replaced the hose and had to turn it in to the shop to get carbs rebuilt. I picked it up Saturday and took it to the lake and sat there to make sure water was coming out the pilot hole. Once it started coming out I told my daughter to go ahead. It took right off and I thought alright I'm good. She made 2 trips around the lake and it died on her. I went after her and it was hot again. I checked the exhaust hose and it was good. The front hose to the water lock I believe called the outlet pipe split wide open. So now for the question. What would cause this to happen? I took the water lock out and there was hardly any water in it. I took it out and could not hear anything rattle inside.
Sorry for the long post for the first time posting but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again
Joe

liquidlew

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 96 wave venture 700 exhaust

Hmmm... I got 3 Ventures and never heard of or had anything like that happen. Sounds like maybe you got some sand or something clogging your cooling system? I would go trace the hoses where water comes in and see if they have crud in them. You can buy an water intake strainer to keep that stuff out of you cooling system also.

sandbar1121

Recruit

I dont think I have any water intake issue, but it sure seems like something is blocking the flow of hot exhaust in order to blow a new hose.
Is there something else I can do?

The Penguin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds like you have a clogged cooling hose that runs to the exhaust.

remove all lines and flush them - your exhaust is running too hot because it's not getting water.

sandbar1121

Recruit

I dont think I have any water intake issue, but it sure seems like something is blocking the flow of hot exhaust in order to blow a new hose.
Is there something else I can do?

So, You're saying a hose going into the motor is clogged?...or a hose going into the exhaust is clogged?

bently

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sand, over time, can slowly fill the passages in and around the cyclinders and also the exhaust manifold. The little tube or "pisser" that is to show you that water is flowing through your engine will not show you that the exhaust side is blocked, just that the water intake is working and not cloged. I would dis assemble the exhaust and check it out from the exhaust port from the cyclinder to the outlet on the back os your ski. I bet you find areas with sand blockage.

ktlamm

Cadet

I hope you got this fixed. Mine did the same thing I figured it out tho. If you need any info let me know.

beachdanimal

Recruit

I hope you got this fixed. Mine did the same thing I figured it out tho. If you need any info let me know.

What did you figure out was the problem? I have a 1995 700 wave venture doing the same thing, it blew out 2 of those hoses, the one coming off the exhaust that goes through the hull to the big black muffler. I took apart after that and washed everything past there out and it blew a third pipe, they are $100 each. Are you saying it is something clogged before that pipe?