'98 Kawasaki STX 1100 Fuel Gauge Issue....

mgiersberg

Cadet
I purchased a used 1998 Kawasaki STX 1100. a few weeks back. It runs great and runs strong with no complaints in that dept. I filled the gas tank and took it out for the first time. When I arrived at the lake and launched the ski I noticed the fuel level was reading at only 1/2 full. I proceeded to use the ski, after a while it registered close to empty and the warning light flashing. I took the ski to shore to open the hood and checkthe fuel level. When I looked at its level it was still half full of gas. So it seems maybe the sender is only reading the top half of the tank? Has anyone seen this before or does anyone have any suggestions. Thank you in advance.

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: '98 Kawasaki STX 1100 Fuel Gauge Issue....

Haven't seen it personally on mine (I have the exact same year/ski). I'm sure the fuel sending unit has just worn out. You may try running it down to nothing in the tank (or syphon the remaining fuel out) to let the float in the tank go all of the way to the bottom and see if it resets itself. I would bet that the sensor has just worn itself out. A new one from kawasaki can probably be bought and I doubt it would be *too* difficult to replace as the fuel tank is easily accesible, even if you had to remove the oil resevoir.

mgiersberg

Cadet

Does anyone know where I can find one of these fuel sender switches for a decent price?

haulnazz15

Captain

I don't know that anyone makes them other than Kawasaki.

mgiersberg

Cadet

Well I figured that, I found a place that is a reseller but they want $150 dollars for it. I didn't know if anyone knew places that carried used parts or anything.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

see if these guys have a good used one available,, parts@jetkingparts.com
e mail joe and tell him I sent you so he will give it more attention.. he gets busy and sometimes is a pain in the butt to deal with.

mmccoy555

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The "fuel sender switch" is actually part of the fuel sender/baffle. YOu have to replace the whole thing. The part is close to $500. Did you try testing the gauge itself. There should be two wires coming off of the gauge to the baffle. If you disconnect the wires COMING FROM THE GAUGE and take a paperclip and short them out the gauge should go to full. If it doesn't the gauge is bad. If it does more then likely its the baffle.

mgiersberg

Cadet

the part Kawasaki part number is 27010-3742 it is about $150 from OEM Kawasaki resellers. I just really don't want to spend that much if I do not need to. Im going to remove it from the tank this weekend and short the leads and see if that maybe resets it or something, I don't know. It seems to work fine on the top half of the tank. (when its full it reads half and when its half it reads empty) I am speaking with jetking parts thought and it seems they may be able to help with a used part

haulnazz15

Captain

the part Kawasaki part number is 27010-3742 it is about $150 from OEM Kawasaki resellers. I just really don't want to spend that much if I do not need to. Im going to remove it from the tank this weekend and short the leads and see if that maybe resets it or something, I don't know. It seems to work fine on the top half of the tank. (when its full it reads half and when its half it reads empty) I am speaking with jetking parts thought and it seems they may be able to help with a used part

Good luck, hope you can get it for cheaper than 150.