Sea Doo-Will it sink?

homelite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
05 GTI 2 Seater. Can I leave this in the water at tied up to a dock? I have heard they might sink, but how? How could water get in? Any advise from a qualified tech is appreciated.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Sea Doo-Will it sink?

carbon seals are known to leak,, hose clamps on exhaust are known to fall off,, it is not advised to leave a ski in the water but with a bilge pump installed and a float switch for a day or 2 would be ok unless it leaked a lot then the battery would die and it would sink.

haulnazz15

Captain

I think you're being a little too pesimistic. Any jet ski in normal condition (i.e. not leaking in water during normal operation) will float the same as a boat will. We leave our jet ski in the water all weekend without so much of a drop of water in the bilge if it hasn't been rolled or submerged during hard riding.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

I have a lot of experience and keep them in the water 2 weeks at a time when camping on islands but I keep them shallow enough so if they leak they don't go down too far,, I have seen many sea doo carbon seals leak,, actually most of them drip when sitting,, but what do I know>>

Xrider

Cadet

most skis dont have bilge pumps so it would be ill advised to leave them on water for long. Im putting a bilge pump in mine just for a safe mind.

jam1ej20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually, a lot of skis DO have bilge "pumps," just not the kind you're used to. They rely on a siphon effect to remove the water and only work when the ski is underway. If the tubing or hose falls from an elevated location in the ski and falls below the waterline inside then it can actually siphon water back into the ski. Ask me how I know...

mmccoy555

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know many people who leave them on mourings at their beach house without problems(unless a storm runs through). Someone already said it though, if everything is in good shape you will be ok.

FYI, the GTI is a 3seater. They didn't make a 2 seater GTI.