Mercury Sport Jet Wear Ring Issue (Rayder 120xr)

akunkel

Recruit
I measured the gap of my impeller to the wear ring on my Mercury Sport Jet 120 xr. It measures about 0.015 inches
What should it be?
Am I losing performance because of the gap? Can I repair (if so, how?) or do I buy a new one?
It's on a Sea Ray Rayder F16 with the 120 hp motor. I'm only seeing about 30 mph at the top end right now. I think it's capable of 10 mph more....no?

akunkel

Recruit
Re: Mercury Sport Jet Wear Ring Issue (Rayder 120xr)

Thanks for the replies....ahhh wait, no one replied.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

well I don't believe those are available and if the wear ring isn't bulging in places or rubbing on the impeller it is probably not the problem. it may be the impeller that has the issues. or the reverse gate is hanging too low and obstructing the water out of the pump.. you should be going faster than what you are reporting . 15 thousands of an inch doesn't seem too big of a gap between the impeller and the wear ring.. as for answering your questions,, well I try but I run a business by myself and this is the busy time of the year and it only gets worse till fall, so I am busy working, to pay the I R S their 80 thousand dollar a year income tax that they seem to demand from my poor hard working butt. Not to mention the money grubbing ex who gets her 1350 a month alimony the B i T c H. Ok now I feel better lol.

dropem631

Seaman Apprentice

Good day I'm looking at this thread and I'm having same Issue new to having this boat. Wanted to know if u can tell me how u made out and also if u had pic of the famous ring. I keep hearing about. Also how to measure the clearance. I have manual but I think I got wrong one on ebay. Thanks for tour help. Good day

wapayne

Recruit

First time on this forum. my sport jet 90 after 4k rpm the engine revs up but boat slows down,
feels like the clutch is slipping but it has no clutch. Help!!!!