96 xp seadoo, won't start

The320

Cadet
Just bought this thing last week, been around for maybe 6 to eight hours on it, ran fresh gas through it, filled oil, and all was good. Took it out the other day after putting in new plugs, and fell off. Went to start it, it would turn over, but not start. Went out, bought a new battery (old one was pretty bad) Motor turns, sounds like it is about to start but its almost like it is flooded, or choking itself out. Then the battery dies after so long and attempts, and I get a beep from the console(all four lights light up)...Help Please.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 96 xp seadoo, won't start

did it tip over when you fell off??? may have some water in the crank case,, remove the plugs, check for spark, check compression and crank it with the plugs out to see if water is coming out the plug holes.

The320

Cadet

Turns out that the plugs I just put in were fouled out, looks like I have alot to learn about these water rockets

wj1040

Recruit

I have the same problem, except the plugs are good and clean, I took them out and turned it over for about 3 minutes to blow all the water out and still wont start. I have tried starter fluid and it doesn't fire. There is plenty of spark there. Anyone have ideas?

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

Guys, I know that you're not going to believe me but........it's your battery. Yes, your battery!

I'm a long-time Yamaha owner (since 1994) and as long as the battery is decenty charged these skis will start. In January of this year, I purchased two 1996 Sea Doo XPs in non-running condition. I redid tons of stuff on both skis including a new top end (including replacement jugs) on one. Even with a brand new AGM battery, I couldn't get the new top end ski to start. I pulled the plugs and cranked and could see that I had spark. When I reinstalled the plugs, I couldn't get the engine to fire. A member from one of the personal watercraft forums told me it was my battery. At first, I got mad and said that my battery is brand new and the he was full of it. As I thought about it, I remembered reading this same thing happened to others so I knew these skis required a battery that was 100% not 98%!.

I fully recharged my brand new battery and hooked up one of my other batteries in parallel just for good measure. Here is a picture: IMG_1268 shrunk.jpg

Yeah, it fired right up!

Never, ever jump start one of these Sea Doos with a running car!! Never! You'll fry the computer. You can hook up jumper cables, just don't start the car and have it running!

BTW, we ran 70 gals of gas through these two XPs during the 4th of July week. I kept the batteries topped off and they always started and ran like absolute champs! What a blast.

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

The reason that you and I see spark when we're cranking the engine with the spark plugs out is because the starter isn't under load without the plugs in (no compression) therefore there is plenty of voltage to fire the plugs. When your battery isn't at 100%, with the plugs in, the starter pulls so much draw on the battery that there isn't enough voltage to fire the plugs.

If you don't believe me, put a voltage meter and read the voltage while cranking the engine. If it goes below about 11V it's not going to start! The higher voltage the better.

You must have a very good battery. Not one that's on it's last leg!

wj1040

Recruit

The battery is fully charged and I had the charger hooked up to it running a 6 amp charge. It was turning over very fast...?

shagy959

Seaman Apprentice

dont use your charger while turning over the ski or you will burn up the mpem the battery could be the issue also the starter could be pulling to many amps and not letting it start have had both battery bad and starter week pulling to many amps so you may need to try to replace the stater
The battery is fully charged and I had the charger hooked up to it running a 6 amp charge. It was turning over very fast...?

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

When my engine wouldn't start, it too was turning over very fast. That's why it was hard for me to believe that it was the battery. It was indeed the battery.

shagy is right. Don't use the charger while cranking the engine. You could fry the computer as many unsuspecting victims have done.

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the same problem, except the plugs are good and clean, I took them out and turned it over for about 3 minutes to blow all the water out and still wont start. I have tried starter fluid and it doesn't fire. There is plenty of spark there. Anyone have ideas?

DO NOT EVER use starting fluid. It's so unsafe on skis and you're asking for bad things to happen. Instead, take out the spark plugs and put about a teaspoon of gas into the spark plug holes. Put the plugs back in and try to start it. That's also a great way to get your ski started in the spring to avoid cranking the hell out of it to start it up initially.

wj1040

Recruit

Thank you all for your insights. I am new to this and am really enjoying riding. Update - The battery was good, so I tried changing the plugs again. It fired up immediately and I rode hard all day saturday. Apparently the first plugs I put in had gotten wet in the box and corroded before I used them. Thanks again.

JUL193

Cadet

I would check the alignment of the oil pump, depending on model and year it could be located on the front of the engine or under the carb!