NO SPARK Sea Rayder Mercury Sport Jet 90

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyboyn2144p

Cadet
I just picked this boat up from a friend who had no clue about mechanics! Might have been my first mistake!

Well It will crank over like no tomorrow but I have no spark what so ever! I see in the back compartment there is a spare CDI and coil pack. 2 of the 3 coils match. i.e. # 2/3.. I am sure by the way this poor thing looks is it has been sitting outside for some time.

I am more then willing to take this step by step and figure out wtas going with this. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Nathan

Jacksonville Beach

I have tools and Volt ohm meters avail..

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: NO SPARK Sea Rayder Mercury Sport Jet 90

buy the complete ignition kit it is a common issue with those and be sure to install a new rectifier that is what kills the power pack.

flyboyn2144p

Cadet

Any Idea on what parts that would include, and cost??

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

go read this post it is the same issue
(What no one here knows anything about Sport Jet Ignition? )

Zamboni

Petty Officer 2nd Class

http://www.geocities.com/kenimpzoom/SportJetIgntests.htm

That's a member here's page, run through the basic tests and let us know what you find. First thing to look at is the obvious-kill switch lanyard. Next the rev limiter, still no go run through the page's tests.

Many new owners blow the ride plate off attempting to start SJ's on trailer. The unspent fuel collects in a cavity that has water in it on lake, eventually backfiring. You need to have a garden hose hooked up, slightly cracked to carry away unburnt fuel. Careful-city water pressure is much higher than what pump feeds engine-don't fill your cylinders with water.

flyboyn2144p

Cadet

I printed the page off and it is helpful with identifying teverything seeing as how this is the first time I have worked on one. I am trying to identify all the parts.

I have: <br>
3 coils 2 of which are different - Plus an extra coil pack in the "trunk" on that side of the motor <br>

silver and black box on the dvr side of the motor and wired Yellow/ black/ red/ yellow/ grey - 883071 3522 - I have 2 of these, one is mounted and one was with an opened plastic bag in the "trunk" on that side

I have had absolutly NO luck with Mercury site even finding the Sport jet 90 wiring or even parts! I am getting sick of the lack of help from them.

i am lost as to what is supposed to hok to what and go to where.. I know Motorcycles and Jet Skis all day long but this is a pain in the rear!

Nathan
Frustruated in JAX Beach:eek:

Zamboni

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Nathan, check your pm for link to manual....it has pics and wiring diagrams-go over that and it should be clear. Identify ignition parts, run tests-let us know.

Meant to pm you that link last night.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

it is a force outboard power head if that helps,, so the wiring should be the same for the ignition. chiltond has books for the force but I never found one for the jet boat

Zamboni

Petty Officer 2nd Class

He'll be good with that shop manual Jeff....I started typing out a long post describing everything but "picture worth a thousand words cliche" really holds true in this case. It will be a lot easier to understand and help Nathan as he id's parts and works thru the troubleshooting procedures in that manual.

Daremo

Seaman Apprentice

If your sure your stator is bad, then just search for my post on converting from CDI to CDM. Tells you what you need to know.

Its not hard to do if you have a few tools.

flyboyn2144p

Cadet

OMG the Crowley Marine Ignition kit is AWESOME!!!! for $208.53 We had it overnighted. It took us 30 minutes to install! It also did away with the nightmare of wiring that I was dealing with!

HOWEVER!! I have 2 question... In the wiring harness there is a black with a split off, Yellow/Red, 2 reds crimped together....

I see that the 2 reds go to the battery side of the starter solinoid

The previous owner ran a new Yellow plain wire for some reason from the key switch Yellow/Red to the engine compartment where it terminates at the induction pole of the solonid. Is this where I need to attach the Yellow/Red wire from the new harness?

I also have a ground from the harness that attaches to the motor on the side, do I need to attach this to the oppsite induction pole on the solinoid??

I want to do this rite.......

BTW They sent me a new Thermocouple in the kit too do I need to replace this or should the old one be ok?? How can I tell if the old one is bad??

I have not been able to find crap for this boat (sea Ray/ sea Rayder 130 1993) as far as schmatics or any manuals.. Want to make sure this is all correct!

Nathan
904-248-9179c

Zamboni

Petty Officer 2nd Class

By your last pm to me alls is clear from manual shematics?...looks like that pm sent after your post here.

flyboyn2144p

Cadet

Jeff, I am still pulling my hair out and we have no NO SUPPORT FROM CROWLEY MARINE IN REGUARDS TO THERE PRODUCT!!

THEY TOLD ME TO BRING THE BOAT IN FOR THEM TO CHECK IT OUT AND AS YOU KNOW I AM IN FLORIDA AND THERE IN COLORADO! SCREW THAT!!

I have 14V at the fuse on the ignition and contunity at the ground point of the plate and the negetative side of the battery..

I installed a new Ignition switch and bypassed the cutoff switch so that was not an issue.

the Black/ Yellow is not shorted to ground which will cut the ignition is good.

All acessories work with out any problems. BUT we have no spark on new plugs!

My friend is about ready to blow the boat up! he was going to use it for a 4th of july display...

nathan20328

Recruit

Sweet Jesus please help us. I have a Regal Rush jetboat with the same piece of crap (apparently) Mercury Sport Jet 90 in it and I just started having a very similar problem. We put the boat in the water two weeks ago (my friend started it while I was parking the trailer and it stalled before I got back there). I spent about 15 minutes cranking it and then the starter bit the big one. Friday my local marine dealer got the starter in (300 bucks!) and I installed it and put the boat in the water Saturday. Started right up, ran rough but seemed to get better as I ran it. I did note that when I turned a tight corner, it would almost die. It is almost all fresh 50:1 fuel plus a can of seafoam for good measure. Took it out of the water and was pretty damn happy even though my wallet was a lot lighter. Next day, put the boat in, and ran it for a bit (still rough but seemed pretty decent once warmed up), then went over and docked it next to my pontoon boat. Came down to take both boats over to the beach (Indian Lake in Ohio) and the f-ing jetboat turned over but refused to fire whatsoever. Finally gave up on it and took the pontoon boat to the beach. A sidenote: the pontoon boat battery died at the beach and I had to get a ride to get a new battery for it...HAH! Anyhow, ended up towing the dead jetboat with the pontoon boat to get it to the landing and on dry land. To finish my sad, sad story, the bottom two of the three spark plugs appear to be dry even after cranking for 50 years...do I have a fuel pump/diaphragm issue?

Zamboni

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nathan, if your engines a 93 unless its had upgrades I don't think trigger in that Crowley kit is compatable with your flywheel. Try it with your old trigger.

flyboyn2144p

Cadet

I went ahead and put the origional one on there that came with the old setup and the #'s matched all the way around on both the one from the Crowley kit and the old one. 828302 1006 Brown/ Tan/ Purple/ Black I have one magnet all the way around the bottom of the fly wheel.

WE HAVE NOTHING!!!!

Help or it dies a quick death from a .45........

Nathan
904-248-9179c

flyboyn2144p

Cadet

BE CAREFUL!!!

Crowly Marine only warrntes there parts with a replacment part! they will not cover labor to have there faulty parts replaced!!

We have spent $200.00 and still not a running boat but everything else works with the wiring and checks out...

Crappy customer service......

Jeff any more additional help????

Zamboni

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Realize you adressed question to Jeff, hope you don't feel I'm butting in. I was pretty sure it was going to be the new trigger being incompatable unless you changed flywheel-just saw that on another 93 with the upgrade kit.

Did you run through ignition troubleshooting tests on Ken's page or in manual with the old trigger on....should show the problem.

BL, real work to get to.

flyboyn2144p

Cadet

Any one who responds is fine.. Hell the more the better!

we still have had no change with the old trigger..

I have 14V at the 20 Amp fuse and contunity between the ground point and negetatiave side of the batt..

There is light fuel on the tips of the new plugs so I know there is fuel getting there..

When you still groung out the plug it still does not fire w/ old trigger..

Found out that Crowley bought a ton of thiese old units that never made it on to the motors at the Mercury factory and they are canabolising them and selling the whole ones. I also got told yeaterday by (Paul) that every "whole assm" never has worked just the seperate pieces...

Hummmmmmm

Zamboni

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, so the old trigger must be used unless you change flywheel when doing the CDM upgrade. Now, the triggers are different. How did you wire the old trigger to the new the kit? Before upgrade your old trigger had a white/blk wire going to the old switch box right?....connect that wht/blk wire to grd not to the harness-your other 3 wires should match up to harness.

Tell us our blk/wht wire wasn't going directly to ground and we'll have a happy ending. Otherwise lets start getting troubleshooting readings, I'll try to pop back in an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.