Kawasaki 1100 ZXI

petrey10

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am at buying a pair of these jet skis and was wondering what everyone thinks about them. How many hours is too much? One of them was just rebuilt and has 0 hours and the other I am not sure about.

DC20

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Kawasaki 1100 ZXI

Be careful of what year. I had a 1996 that had a recall, the fix to the hull was a bubble that was added, it still did the sharp hook sending me airborn, sold it after that.
Forget the hours, how was it maintained? Do a compresion test or have a shop check it out for you if you don't know what you are looking at or it can cost you more than what you paid for it.
The 1100's are great all around motors but I would look at STX's instead of the ZXI's IMO.

dcg9381

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like the triple Kawasakis. They're good reliable motors and perform well.
On the ski with 0 hours, you need to make sure that the owner has a receipt and that it has been - or is going to be broken in properly.

The only issue I know with these skis is that their trim system - KATS was designed poorly and originally let water in the cable which leads to the trim box. This would short out the KATS system and a require a $1000 repair.

IT was worse on the 900s - but I think still an issue on the 1100s.. IF it's got KATS, check it out. Regardless, skis should be water tested and (ideally) compression tested prior to purchase.

bamafutbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

they also have the worst gas mileage. i was on a 05 kaw triple with light mods and my wife was on her gtx millenium edition and she made it 54 miles on a tank with spare, i made it 27 with only fumes to go

dcg9381

Petty Officer 1st Class

The GTX has a rotax, if I recall correctly - with it's own sordid problems.
It's a powerful motor and on par for efficiency with other 2-stokes of similar CC and engine design.

If you want to talk about a fuel pig - the early 97-98 GP1200s had horrible fuel consumption.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

with fuel becoming more and more costly,, it may be time to look for a decent 4 stroke, 2 strokes were fuel hogs,, my 4 tec gtx ltd gets a consistent 6 miles per gallon,, since they have an info center that tracks how many miles you travel , I closely monitor the miles I go against the fuel I use,, it always comes out to 6 miles a gallon unless the pump liner is going bad,, then it drops to just over 5 mpg. if you do a lot of riding like I do the fuel adds up,, I spent $6000 on fuel last year, with a big 2 stroke it would have been more like 8000, plus expensive 2 stroke oil added to the cost. maybe an added 500 for that

dpatterson

Cadet

I own a 96 zxi and 98 stx both 1100's.

The things are rocket ships of their time on the water. Some models without CV carbs had hard starting issues. Sometimes requiring me to squart good stuff with the spark plugs to get them to fire. After that...forget it. No one could keep up where I live.

CAUTION!!!!!!!

PUMP HOUSINGS ARE A HUGE COSTLY PROBLEM.
Both my skis are in pieces 4 year rebuild in the making first one we though the motor was locked up...decided to take it out only to find out that the crap metal house had caused corosion between itself and the inner wear ring thus casuing the impeller to be frozen solid in the housing.

after appling heat, greese, ice, and two broken impeller tools we just cut the housing to save the impeller.

Most models (seadoo, and yamaha i belive) use plastic wear rings that are serviceable. Kawasaki's are not.

But hey whatever you decide let me know I still need parts!!! LOL

Just wanted to give you my two cents on them. Great machines but poor pump housing design.

dgohmann

Seaman Apprentice

Very tippy with 2 people on them. Aftermarket sponsons are highly recommended (I have Worx). If you ride in anything higher then a 2ft chop be prepared to be standing the entire time. While it is a fun ride for one person, and quick, I would recommend something newer, 4 stoke, and larger.

TEST RIDE whatever it is you are looking to buy.

simon wilkins

Recruit

hi i have bought a kawasaki zxi 1998 and used it twice and every thing seem to run fine.took it for a service and i found out that the impeller was catching on the venes off the pump.water had got in between the metal and started to corode and cause the maetal to rise.after fixing the problem in a few weeks i was thinking off putting a few performance parts on can any one give me some advice on impellers intake grates and stuff and on what order is best.plus does it actually make a big diffrence im new to pwc so dont no a great deal!!! thanks simon

myronc2002

Recruit

what is a good price to purchase a 1100zxi that has been completelt rebuilt and has only 15-20 hrs?

Last edited:

moose6379

Recruit
I know this is a little off subject but anyone wanting to fix a zxi trim motor go to your local junk yard and get a 94 honda civic window regulator motor. Bend back the two metal tabs on cover swap shafts from your old rusted up motor and your trim will be working again. Remove the metal cover by bending tabs enough to pull it off remove the snap ring pull out the shaft and swap. Put back together in reverse order bend the tads back and it's fixed. No need to spend 100 dollars on a 10 dollar piece

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I know this is a little off subject but anyone wanting to fix a zxi trim motor go to your local junk yard and get a 94 honda civic window regulator motor. Bend back the two metal tabs on cover swap shafts from your old rusted up motor and your trim will be working again. Remove the metal cover by bending tabs enough to pull it off remove the snap ring pull out the shaft and swap. Put back together in reverse order bend the tads back and it's fixed. No need to spend 100 dollars on a 10 dollar piece

Yes, it's off topic and this is an old topic as well. Please start a new topic instead of poaching a topic which has had no activity for 90 days or more. Thanks.