1991 yamaha starter bad??

blasep

Cadet
Please help I am on vacation and I cannot get my yamaha wr 650 to start.. I had it started the first day on the hose, it ran good but the battery was low. I put in on charge over night , now it is just buzzing from the starter relay and the starter is not spinning, I put the charger on it and try to start it and the starter spins but is not engaged so it is not cranking the engine.. I put a car battery on it and it just buzzed the relay.. I dont know if the starter is bad of just the relay or if I overcharged the battery??? I am on vacation in obx for a week and am about to give up. any help would be appreciated.. thanks

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1991 yamaha starter bad??

Take off the electrical cover and using a screwdriver cross the two big posts on the solenoid. if the starter turns over like that but wont trn over otherwise your solenoid is bad or sticking. I would tap on it with the back of the screwdriver and see if it unsticks.

is the starter turning over or no? if the starter is turning over but not cranking the ski it sounds like the bendix is stuck and wont move forward when the starter spins it. take off the front cover and spray soem WD40 on the bendix. then try to move it in and out with a screwdriver. then see if it will turn the motor over. youll need to put the cover back on first

You also may have really really weak batteries. Was the car battry a charged battery or no?

blasep

Cadet

thanks for the quick response. The first thing I did was use a screwdriver across the starter solenoid.. It did nothing. Im not really sure what theproblem is because, with both batteries I tried the relay would just buzz and the starter motor did nothing. the batteries were charged.
When I hooked up the charger the tried the starter would actuall spin but like you said the bendix was not engaged. but Im not sure why the starter would only move when the charger was hooked up. I would try moving the bendix (not really sure how though) but the stater isnt even trying.
also I just hooked up the charger to try again and i think it broke, it started to hum then popped and started smoking, so I may be without a charger now...
well I ll try again tomorrow but its not looking good for the vacation.. thanks again for your help.
nick

blasep

Cadet

I didnt think it was a bad battery because I tried two batteries and I know the truck battery was good.

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

Check the voltage on the battery. if you cross the two big posts with a screwdriver the starter should engage. its possible that you have a bad starter and its sucking the battery voltage. Do you hear a clicking from the solenoid when you push the start button?
Rob

blasep

Cadet

I dont hear a single click. its like a buzzing, weird noise from the relay.

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

Did you try to cross the two big posts with the screwdriver? Most likely you have a bad relay
Rob