Beware of SBT Motors !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

steverad1

Recruit
BEWARE of SBT MOTORS !!!<br /><br />I GOT BURNED…. Don’t let it happen to you!<br /><br />I found out the hard way, after ordering and paying for an SBT motor that SBT in Fla has been consistently providing inferior products to their customers for years now. I am basing this accusation on my own personal experience and the feedback that I have received from Seadoo professionals since. There are quality re-builders out there but unfortunately SBT is not one of them. To make matters worse, SBT has no intention of taking care of the customer when their inferior product blows. <br /><br />My Story - <br /><br />I purchased a Seadoo 951 motor from SBT in June 2004. I had it shipped directly to the local Seadoo Dealership and installed by the dealership. At the time, the Service Manager warned me that they NEVER-EVER recommend using SBT motors because they had had so-ooooo many past problems with them. So - I left the Dealership, just praying that maybe I got lucky and received a decent motor - I wasn’t so lucky.<br /><br />We took our kids out on the Seadoo 2 times in 2004. Being very careful, because it was in the “break-in” period. The Dealership had set all the carb settings accordingly. We did not take it back for the 10 hour service that summer because we never reached the 10 hours of useage.<br /><br />This summer we took it out the 1st of the summer and reached the 10 hour mark. So the next week I took the Seadoo to the dealership and had them do the 10 hour service. They did the service but noted on the work order that the motor was “noisy”. So, once again I left the Dealership concerned.<br /><br />We took the Seadoo out two more weekends and the 2nd weekend it seemed to be running kind of rough, so I took it back to the Dealership. I got a call from the Service Manager on my cell phone and he advised me that the motor was extremely noisy and it was due to bad crankshaft bearings. He also advised me he checked the records from when they 1st installed the motor and that the new motor had a total of only 16 hours on it and it was likely to blow at any time! Basically, the motor had lasted 3 trips to the lake!<br /><br />At this point I called the SBT warranty department, and was advised that I was out of luck - the motor was two months out of the 12 month warranty. I told the lady in the warranty department “surely the owner of the company would make an exception since the motor only had 16 hours on it since it was installed. She said she didn’t think it would make any difference. I insisted that I wanted to talk to the owner. She refused to give me the name of the owner of the company. (Big red flag right there). She told me that I could send an email to the warranty Dept and she would forward it. I sent her an email with all the above details as well as the following….<br /><br />“ I could not believe that we had barely used the Seadoo and now were stuck with a bad motor, with no support from SBT. I am hoping that you will reconsider and make an exception because all work was performed and documented by the local Seadoo Dealership and the fact that it was ridden very little and has only 16 hours on the motor.. The Seadoo dealership will be glad to fax all work orders and documentation to support this.<br /><br />I own a business myself. We sell and service electronic radio equipment. There are occasions when I make the decision to cover things that are out of warranty. I will make case by case judgments in cases like this - if the facts warrant a closer look. We make our decisions based on what is fair and right to the customer.”<br /><br />Anyhow almost a month has passed with no response from the owner or anyone at all from SBT. I called the lady in the warranty dept after a week to make sure she had received my email and she advised me that she had and had forwarded it to the owner of the company. <br /><br />So after a month, it is obvious, the owner of SBT has no intentions of contacting me or standing behind his/her product. I guess they know the level of quality they are providing and just don’t care. Based on their track record it sounds like all the motors that they ship out are rebuilt with inferior parts and are destined for early failure. <br /><br />I made a huge mistake by ordering a motor from this company. <br /><br />Don’t make the same mistake!!!<br /><br />Steve <br />Buford Georgia

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Beware of SBT Motors !!!

sorry to hear your having a problem with sbt, I have had 3 sbt 787 engines in the last year all in the same ski the first 2 hatched with very little time on them the last one I put in 5 of 05 and it has never run properly but it has not hatched yet LOL but I feel like taking a hammer to it, the engine I had before the sbt engines had a sbt crank in it and that hatched within a year,the berrings failed and ate up the rotary valve shaft and gear, they have always honored their warranty but you are out the labor etc. The only thing you can do is contact Brian the web master at www.sbtontheweb.com, and run your problem by him he has reviewed problems in the past and has helped people to resolve the issues, do not run the engine as it will hatch and break the cases. worst case pull the engine down and replace the crank , hope this helps. good luck

yater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You made a huge mistake by buying a seadoo with a 951! Those are notorious for grenading. SBT has a 1 year idiot proof warranty. If you sink the ski, forget oil, leave a wrench in the cylinder...whatever, it's covered. Sell that turd and get a yamaha

I have had two problems with SBT engines. I sank both skis. :D They replaced the engines no questions asked. If you dont use your skis much then you should fog the engines between use.<br />There is water sitting in them, if your in salt water even worse. If you dont do that you should start them once a week.<br />Sorry but Seadoos arent the best skis to own either, I had a few and I was constantly having to fix them. not so with my other skis.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

I use my skies 3 days a week nearly all year Each s b t engine lasted about 3 months and each one hatched a ring without warning, each time during the warranty period they did honor the warranty but there was still the lost time and labor of changing the engine out, this last time it was out of warranty and I had to fix it myself. still lost time and labor. a friend has had the exact same experience with 2 sbt engines a 787 and a 951 both hatched rings and the 951 also lost a crank this last time, granted a 951 is probably the worst engine they made as far as longevity goes due to the fact that they love to ingest water, and I personally will never buy a 787 or 951 again. From this point on I believe I will be rebuilding the engines myself not to save money but to be sure everything it done correctly, the last engine I rebuilt is running strong with no problems for a year.

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry. I know Im new on here but let me get this straight. you bought a motor had it installed then rode it very little while under the warranty period. Now youre out of warranty and you want them to pick up the bill? Why should they? Either Way the only person who can help you is Bryan Glynn at SBT. My advice to you is dont go in high handed or he will tell you to pound sand. Brian is a nice guy.<br />Either way thats like you driving your car, the car is out of warranty and you blow your motor now you want the dealer or manufacturer to fix it. if I was SBT I wouldnt fix it for you. If it broke under the warrnaty then of course Ill stand by my warranty. after that youre on your own. Sorry I jsut saw too many customers walk in with BS stories expecting me to fix stuff for free<br />Rob

scuba_steve

Recruit

Had a SBT rebuilt put in professionally in my '02 Yamaha XLT 800 a couple of years ago. Was out on the St. John's River a few weeks ago and the engine died. Not a good feeling! Was able to get it started and nurse it back to the boat ramp doing 20 mph at almost full throttle. Took it into the shop, they tore it apart and found a lower crank berring had failed, which I have read a nimber of times on this forum. $3100.00 and I'm back on the water again! I didn't pay for the SBT a couple of years ago, the guy I bought the ski from did so he could sell it. The shop he had the ski at found out what was wrong with it, the engine was shot but the owner of the ski obviously wanted to stick as little as possible into it, so he found SBT. The shop wanted more to fix it right, advising against SBT, saying they don't use them anymore becuse of so many past problems. But like I stated at first, I elected to save some $$ and go with SBT because the owner selling the ski wouldn't pay any more. IF YOU ARE READING THIS AND THINKING ABOUT BUYING A SBT ENGINE, DON'T DO IT!!!

I bought a 787 from SBT and had it installed by Ft. Worth power sports in 09. For the first 10 hours everything was fine, then out of nowhere it had no power. Full throtle 5mph, being mechanicly inclined I pulled the spark plugs and to my surprise I found that one cylinder was fine and the other was a bit on the rich side. A small adjustment on the carburator screw (less than a 1/2 turn) and a cleaned up plug, she ran great for the next 200+ hours. I sold the ski to a good friend, and with a little bit of maintinance, the ski still runs great. My advice....Take a small engine course at your local community college, It does wonders for a novice.

n4437t

Recruit
I just had a bad experience with SBT. I bought an overhauled engine for my Yamaha XL 800 a year ago and had it installed. I used the Waverunner no more than 5-10 hours since. There were some problems with the engine and the mechanic who looked at it said that compression on one cylinder was bad which caused vibration which broke several bolts holding the exhaust and starter.
I called SBT for a warranty and since the one year warranty had expired a month before, they refused to do anything. I explained that it took a month to get a mechanic out to check on it and they said they would not honor any warranty.
I would advise DO NOT BUY A PRODUCT OF SBT. I think they are not quality products and to not honor a warranty so close to expiration is bad business. I do not trust these guys and will never buy anything from them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.