How often to charge battery??

DSGB2000

Cadet
Hello all, I just bought my first jet ski, a 95 Kawasaki TS, dont laugh too hard but I was wondering how often should I charge my battery to make sure it doesnt die on me. I took it out 4 days ago and I am planning to take it out this weekend as well so basically my question is how long can my battery sit w/o going dead?? Also if anybody has some experience with this particular model jet ski I was wondering what is a good brand of oil to use in these. Thanks!

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How often to charge battery??

Keep an eye on the water level in the battery and the cable connectors to be sure they are clean, if it sits a couple of weeks put it on a 1 amp charger over night, otherwise if the electrical system is working it should not need to be charged if it gets used every week or so, start the ski on the trailer before placing it in the water each time you go out, the first start takes it's toll on the battery when the engine has been sitting, starting in the water requires the pump to turn with the engine and water resistance makes the battery work harder to do this.

enegron

Seaman

I assume you launch immediately...If you start it on the trailer, don't you run the risk of engine damage?

DSGB2000

Cadet

Well if the weather permits I will be riding it just about every weekend so if I use the jet ski on a regular basis do I need to charge the battery at all??

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm new on this part of Iboats, not a pwc expert at all, just wondering if these have an impellor type of water pump. If so, just a few seconds of running dry will damage the water pump. From an electrical perspective, unless there is something wrong, your battery should hold a good charge for at least two weeks (or longer), there should be no need to charge the batteries between runs.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

Oh boy,, Start it ,, then shut it off after a few seconds of running, then re start it in the water, as for a water pump NO there is no pump, the jet supplies water. I should have explained in detail that the first start up is the hardest so if it is started on the trailer before launching , once it is in the water it will be easier to start as the fuel lines will be full, most first starts are actually priming the fuel lines and that is why it takes a while for the ski to start. I use electric pumps so I never have that problem. hope this clears up the questions.

DSGB2000

Cadet

Ok thanks everybody for the help, now I need a good brand and type of oil to use.

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

In between times use a battery maintainer. This is one style that I have used for several years. <br /> http://www.batteryweb.com/batteryminder.cfm <br /><br />Also any oil that meets you manufacturers specs. will work. Even consider synthetic if can be used.

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Next time you have to replace your battery see if you can find an AGM (absorbed glass mat) style lead acid battery which has adequate cranking power. Those, if the machine charges it reasonably properly, last twice as long before replacement and can go a month or even several months before needing a recharge. The do not internally dischare anywhere near as rapidly as an ordinary battery. And they are tougher than gel cell batteries (less fussy about how they are charged). They can be left out in freezing weather without harm as well.

mikebc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have had 2 jell cells in both my runners, they seem to last 3 years or so. I do pull them and store inside in the winter. In the spring they are very fussy at first, acting like they will not take a charge, but trust me, after 4 hours of a 1~2 amp charge it will come around. Make sure and use a automatic batter charger! I've had 2 runners since '93. Oh, the best part about jell cells, they don't leak acid all over your machines paint, most factory vents right on the painted parts under the seat!

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

AGM's for all practical purposes have all the same benefits of Gel batteries with few of the drawbacks in how they want to be charged. Some do say they can be brought back better than AGM's, though I've also heard the opposite. Gels may have a slightly better lifespan when used in photovoltaic systems with sophisticated charging schemes, but not in the world of motor vehicles. Gel batteries will be eventually or immediately damaged by most ordinary chargers, resulting in getting much less life from them than they are capable of potentially delivering. AGM's tend to have an outstanding ability to crank over a motor, too. Gel batteries certainly can work just fine, but in the end the AGM should prove less expensive over its lifetime and less troublesome in most cases.

m1rodrig

Seaman

You should also start it up once you put it back on the trailer so you can empty any water in the manifold so it will not stay in there.